Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference between alternator and a stator

Post Thanks / Like

Default Difference between alternator and a stator

I was curious if my boat was equiped with a alternator.So I emailed the company and asked.They told me I had a stator not alternator.So what is the difference and does this charge batteries when it runs or is there something I need to buy for my boat.It is a Mercury 90 2 stroke.I have a tendency to run the batteries down while out on the water.

Any help would be greatful appreciated.
    http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/luckyshorses/?start=0[/url]
    Hook em and bring em in the boat.
    Boys look at them bouncing juggs lets get them in the boat.
    3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake SGT of Arms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappietime
    I was curious if my boat was equiped with a alternator.So I emailed the company and asked.They told me I had a stator not alternator.So what is the difference and does this charge batteries when it runs or is there something I need to buy for my boat.It is a Mercury 90 2 stroke.I have a tendency to run the batteries down while out on the water.

Any help would be greatful appreciated.

a stator should keep the start battery charged. Maybe you're trying to run to much stuff off it. Mine stays up ok, but I do plug it in although not every time out. My trolling battery gets charged every time out.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know the stator is just for ignition, not for charging a battery. It works like this:

The stator creates electrical energy from the magnets in the flywheel passing the coils that make up the stator. It sends this to the powerpack which stores and changes the voltage from AC to DC volts. The trigger, also under the flywheel sends a small voltage to the powerpack depending on the flywheel position, this releases the stored electricity to the coils which step it up and on to fire the plugs. The battery is only there to turn the motor over, it has no play on the ignition system.

However, if you have an alternator it is right there with the stator, part of it.
    If you have arrived here by accident, I suggest panic!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The biggest difference in a stator and an alternator is the stator (if equiped) outputs AC voltage to a rectifier and sometimes regulator. An alternator has the rectifier built in and outputs DC voltage and is rated at much higher amperage..

Your 90 horse Merc has 12 poles as part of the stator. 6 of them are wound clockwise and the other 6 counter clockwise to create AC.

If you have ever connected up your batteries backwards, even for a split second, your rectifier is toast. The easiest way to check an outboards charging circuit is to check the voltage at the battery with the motor off. Then check it again with the motor running. As RPMs approach 2000 you should see an increase in voltage.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    The biggest difference in a stator and an alternator is the stator (if equiped) outputs AC voltage to a rectifier and sometimes regulator. An alternator has the rectifier built in and outputs DC voltage and is rated at much higher amperage..

Your 90 horse Merc has 12 poles as part of the stator. 6 of them are wound clockwise and the other 6 counter clockwise to create AC.

If you have ever connected up your batteries backwards, even for a split second, your rectifier is toast. The easiest way to check an outboards charging circuit is to check the voltage at the battery with the motor off. Then check it again with the motor running. As RPMs approach 2000 you should see an increase in voltage.

Technically an alternator can only put out AC and a generator DC but I said technically lol Your boat should charge back what it takes to start it and mabey a little more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN

So a stator is somewhat similar to a distributor? And, if the voltage increases as the RPMs get higher, does that mean that the motor has an alternator?
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegillfreak
    Technically an alternator can only put out AC and a generator DC but I said technically lol Your boat should charge back what it takes to start it and mabey a little more.
    True but alternators have the diodes built in to rectify the voltage.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThrillSeeker
    So a stator is somewhat similar to a distributor? And, if the voltage increases as the RPMs get higher, does that mean that the motor has an alternator?
    No, you have another part under the flywheel called a trigger that more or less takes the place of a distributor. Voltage increases as RPMs get higher simple because the magnets are spinning around the stator faster. Like someone mentioned the stator also has other windings that provide power to the power packs (OMC) or switch boxes (Merc).

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

So is there anything I can purchase to keep my trolling battery charged while out on the water.
    http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/luckyshorses/?start=0[/url]
    Hook em and bring em in the boat.
    Boys look at them bouncing juggs lets get them in the boat.
    3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake SGT of Arms.

Post Thanks / Like

You would be better off to get another trolling battery. When one runs down switch to the other or hook the two batteries in parallel which doubles your run time.
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast