Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: In-Line Spinners

Post Thanks / Like

Default In-Line Spinners

Just wondering how many folks use inline spinners and what your favorite colors are. Doesn't have to be for panfish only either, just kinda wondering in general.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use them much anymore, but they used to be one of my favorite baits for stream fishing. Abu used to make them in yellow with black dots and white with black dots. Caught hundreds of fish on them.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Used to use them ...

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan
    I don't use them much anymore, but they used to be one of my favorite baits for stream fishing. Abu used to make them in yellow with black dots and white with black dots. Caught hundreds of fish on them.
    and still have a handful of them in my tacklebox.

Catfan ... are you thinking of the "Shyster" in-line spinner ? That was a fish catching, line twisting little rascal, wasn't it :D
    I think most of my in-lines are Rooster Tails and Mepps, now. Don't think any of the Shysters I once owned, are still with me.

Used to use the "white/blk dots" version, for White Bass ... "Yellow/blk dots" seemed to work better on Black Bass :D (never really got around to using the "black/white dots" version)

Don't really have a "favorite color" in in-lines ... but, chartreuse ones, or pink ones, are good color choices for sunfish/panfish.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy

Catfan ... are you thinking of the "Shyster" in-line spinner ? That was a fish catching, line twisting little rascal, wasn't it :D
    I think most of my in-lines are Rooster Tails and Mepps, now. Don't think any of the Shysters I once owned, are still with me.
    Don't know what they were called. We just called them "Abus". Every tackle store used to have cards of them hanging on the wall, but I haven't seen them in at least 25 years.

Post Thanks / Like

These are my favorite lures when fishing ponds. I cast them along cattails and weedlines, and retrieve just fast enough for the spinners to spin and just beneath the water surface. My go-to colors are white and/or chartruese.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use Blue Fox in gold or black and the Mepps Black Fury. They are great for trout.

If you're really interested in spinners, pick up Jed Davis book on using spinners for salmon and steelhead (there's also a trout chapter.) There's nothing else like it. It's the Bible on spinner fishing.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up That was them ...

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan
    Don't know what they were called. We just called them "Abus". Every tackle store used to have cards of them hanging on the wall, but I haven't seen them in at least 25 years.

Abu-Reflex Shyster's ... long out of production. So long, in fact, that Luhr Jensen now markets a "Shyster" :

http://www.fishingworld.com/brannans...0Jensen%202404

They (Luhr Jensen) did, however, use the off-set line tie eye, on their model of Shyster ... to help reduce the spinning (line twisting) tendancy of the Abu's (which had a round line tie eye).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

panther martins or rooster tails, just cause i usually use them for white bass and there alot cheaper then mepps

Post Thanks / Like

I still use CP Swings, Super Vibrax, Panther Martin and an occasional Roostertail spinner.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Mepps Agilas in the 1/8 ounce.