Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Depth finder question?

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Depth finder question?

Has anyone ever had any problems with their Depth finer freezing or the "crystals" inside the depth finder ever freezing during cold weather? I was just wondring if the depth finder should be taken off and put in the house where it is warmer.
    I would think they are made to with stand the cold since a lot of guys just store their boats under a carport or outside.
    I just leave mine on but a buddy of mine takes his off because he worries about it freezin. And his is a little more expensive than mine.
    Any info would be great because I dont want to have to worry about buying another one because I left it out in the cold.

CX.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I always bring mine in. For one, too expensive to leave outside under a cover in case some lowlife is looking to steal them. Also, I used to store my boat in a cold garage at my old house and had trouble with the screens getting moisture behind them. It always cleared up after a while in the sun, but I figure it can't be too good for 'em.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Garmin depthfinder freeze. It had gotten moisture behind the casing and I didn't know it.It didn't have any signs like droplets of water on the screen but enough moisture had gotten in there that it left a frost. When I took it back to the dealer to have him send it off, he had a box full of them that had been left on the boats outside that had the same problem. The screen will be black when it happens. Garmin was real good about replacing it though.
    The only way to have a good fishing spot is to make it yourself!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always had a habit of removing my electronics and bringing 'em inside for safe keeping, both on a fishing trip and at home.
    Last edited by gabowman; 01-27-2008 at 10:22 PM.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Fish for fun Guest

Default freezing finders

My father and I have lost a few finders to freezing. The LCD screens will turn black or develope a black line that will not move. It is far more simple to remove the finder than replace it. Good Luck.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I leave mine on and covered year round but then we don't have the prolonged cold you have. And don't want it! LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I always always always take mine in the house
    Stinkies Daddy

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Well enough said, I'm going to make sure I take mine off when it starts gettin very cold.
    Thanks for the advice.

CX.
    IL board Moderator