Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: boat repair help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default boat repair help!

i have an 1986 lazer and have completely redone this boat from the motor to the carpet. but i have one problem i can't seem to find a solution to. my motor is mounted about 2" to one side. in other words it is not in the center of the boat. i have no problem drilling holes to mount the motor in the middle but how do i plug the holes that will be left so they dont leak? the boat is fiberglass with a wood center. please help!!
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

Post Thanks / Like

about anything can be used, you don't really need to "fill" the holes. If you are trying to rebuild the boat back to a beautiful state, then you should plug each side with some fiberglass and resin, then sand it smooth and paint to match. If you're not concerned about it looking proper, go with some quality silicone, filling the holes completely, let it dry. Make sure the holes are dry first as the silicone will not stick to a moist surface.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper
    about anything can be used, you don't really need to "fill" the holes. If you are trying to rebuild the boat back to a beautiful state, then you should plug each side with some fiberglass and resin, then sand it smooth and paint to match. If you're not concerned about it looking proper, go with some quality silicone, filling the holes completely, let it dry. Make sure the holes are dry first as the silicone will not stick to a moist surface.

Try putting a dowel in the hole that's just the right size. when fitted then put silicone all over it and push it in. It'll seal and won't take so much silicone.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Put some silicone around a bolt and stick it back in the hole. That should keep it from leaking.
    can't catch'em at home