Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: live or artificial

Post Thanks / Like

Default live or artificial

Which do you prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

I use artificials most of the time. My hand tied jigs, beetle spins/road runners, ect. They're so much easier to store and you don't have to worry about cold or heat, keeping them alive, ect. However live bait does have its place, as that's what the fish eat 99.9% of the time, the .1% being your artificial.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what the fish tell me they want that day. I start out with jigs but I'll have some minnows or waxies handy. Jigs are a lot easier to fish with than messing with minnows and trying to keep the minnows alive and on a hook.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer a jig, but will fish minners when thats what there hitting, Hey Ship....are waxies the same as meal worms? My sister-n-law raises raises meal worms to feed bluebirds. If they catch fish I might have to make a midnight raid at the worm farm.

Post Thanks / Like

If on a nightstack, its most always live. Possably a jig tiped with minnow on 1 rig. Day time, it 50/50. I almost always have a couple minnows drowning, couple jigs dancing and casting jigs while I wait.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation No, Sticksteer ...

Quote Originally Posted by sticksteer
    are waxies the same as meal worms? My sister-n-law raises raises meal worms to feed bluebirds. If they catch fish I might have to make a midnight raid at the worm farm.
    "Waxies" are Wax Worms ... not Meal Worms.

A Wax Worm is the larva of the Greater Wax Moth, a small nondescript flying insect that lays its eggs in beehives, where the growing larvae feed on honey. They are also commonly called "Bee Moths".

Mealworms are the larval form of the Mealworm Beetle, Tenebrio molitor, a species of darkling beetle.

.... cp

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink For me ....

Quote Originally Posted by newblade
    Which do you prefer?
    Artificials are what I "prefer" to use. I feel a slightly more enhanced sense of accomplishment, if I fool a fish into striking an artificial lure. But, when the fish "prefer" live bait, I'm not above giving them what they want :D

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I try to always have both and if they are hitting well on the jigs alone then the minnows go home to the aquarium for the next trip,but somedays I am real glad I have minnows with me.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sticksteer
    I prefer a jig, but will fish minners when thats what there hitting, Hey Ship....are waxies the same as meal worms? My sister-n-law raises raises meal worms to feed bluebirds. If they catch fish I might have to make a midnight raid at the worm farm.
    Waxies are Wax Worms. Larva of the bee moth. Excellent for Bluegill. A crappie will hit a jig tipped with them too.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a minner man. I mostly night fish anchored up but have seen where they wanted a jig (wouldnt even touch a minner), especially right after the spawn during day trips.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast