Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cotton seed meal?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cotton seed meal?

What is it?

Where do you get it?

Have you ever used it?

I have heard people say they put it in burlap and sunk it around brush piles to attract fish. I have done the same with dogfood, catfish food, and such, but I have heard that cotton seed meal is better.

What is your take?
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumpers
    I have done the same with dogfood, catfish food, and such, but I have heard that cotton seed meal is better.

What is your take?
    I've never used it, but I don't think it's better than anything else you've listed. It might be cheaper than the other options, though.

When I chum, I use the same bait on the hook as I do for chum. So, if I've got a maggot on the hook, I also chum with maggots. If I've got corn on the hook, I chum with corn. Since it's not easy to put cotton seed meal on a hook, I tend not to use it for chum.

Post Thanks / Like

Its just cotton seed that has been crushed up and had the oil removed. theres no seed hules in it or nothing. If you have a cotton oil mill over there you can probably ask them for some. I am in the cotton ginning bizz and I work in NC somtimes but I do not remember seeing oil mill. Im sure theres one over there somewhere.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

www.mealcake.com you can buy it by the sheet and then trim off to what size you need..
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-26-2008 at 11:38 PM.
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

What have you guys used before? deathb4disc said cotton seed meal seemed to be better than what I mentioned, but can't say for sure... not being sarcastic, but what have you used? What are you guys hiding
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Post Thanks / Like

deathb4disc said cotton seed meal seemed to be better than what I mentioned, but can't say for sure...
    I can't say for sure because I've never used it. I've chummed with the following: maggots, corn, and Spam or hot dogs. In these cases, I also put a maggot, piece of corn or piece of meat on the hook. If I use some type of meal as chum, I just use a 50/50 mix of bread crumbs and yello corn meal. To that, I would add pieces of my hookbait. These chums work well enough that I've never felt the need to use anything else.

What are you chumming for? Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes crappie is what I am referring to, I have heard CSM works for brim, shellcracker, and so on. By the way what I consider chumming is throwing chum out during fishing. So in this case "chum" isn't the term I use. This is more of a long term baiting. And the foods in burlap work.

I am now interested in your metod of chumming. Are you reffering to crappie? I am assuming that you are tossing a few maggots and filler in the water ever so often to keep up the feeding. And you are fishing around or in this chum (whatever it may be)?

What I am reffering to, if I am not mistaken, is that when you drop brush piles you also drop a 50lbs burlap filled with bait. It seeps out to attract minnows and in turn attracks bigger fish, ie crappie.

I use the catfish and dog food and they work!
    Last edited by stumpbumpers; 01-26-2008 at 08:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Use to get it at farm suppy stores.I havn't bought any in a long time though.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes crappie is what I am referring to, I have heard CSM works for brim, shellcracker, and so on. By the way what I consider chumming is throwing chum out during fishing. So in this case "chum" isn't the term I use. This is more of a long term baiting. And the foods in burlap work.
    OK, I've never done the long term baiting, but I've read about it and am sure it will draw in fish. Serious carp fishermen do use long term baiting (they call it prebaiting) but, again, they are baiting with the same thing they will use on the hook. Generally, they use some type of seed bait or a prepared bait called a boilie.

I am now interested in your metod of chumming. Are you reffering to crappie?
    No, I generally don't chum for crappie. The best chum for crappie would be minnows or small shad. Since I usually fish from shore, hauling a bunch of minnows around would not be fun. I often catch crappie when I chum for bluegills, though. If I did want to chum for crappie (or bass or any other predator fish), I would probably just chum the bread crumb/corn meal mix so as to draw in minnows, shad, and small bluegills. These small fish would then draw in the bass, crappie, etc.

I am assuming that you are tossing a few maggots and filler in the water ever so often to keep up the feeding. And you are fishing around or in this chum (whatever it may be)?
    That's exactly what I'm doing.

What I am reffering to, if I am not mistaken, is that when you drop brush piles you also drop a 50lbs burlap filled with bait. It seeps out to attract minnows and in turn attracks bigger fish, ie crappie.
    Yeah, from what I understand, this does work. My approach is more "short term". I locate good underwater structure and chum that structure on that day.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we are clear now