Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inflatable pontoon boats

Post Thanks / Like

Question Inflatable pontoon boats

Hi all,

I'm new here, and wondered if anyone uses the one man inflatable pontoon boats for crappie fishing? They would appear to me to be ideal for this type of fishing.

If so, anyone want to recommend a brand and pro's and con's?

Post Thanks / Like

Default I like pontoons

The small catarafts (inflatable pontoon boats) you see at Cabella's and Bass Pro work well. Remember though that you will need to oar your way around with no motor. Great for pond jumping or river use. One big problem is that many lakes do not allow inflatables. Check the local rules on using inflatables where you want to fish before you buy one. Then do not buy a cheap one. $500 or more will get you started. Nice thing is you can put it in the trunk when finished and don't need a truck or trailer. You have no problems with air leaks with the good ones. Be sure to buy one with bladders in the tubes and a good 12 volt air blower to inflate and a hand/foot pump to top off the tubes. A fast dry bladder patch kit is also required just in case. There are zippers on the outer skin to access the bladders. I have used inflatables for 20+ years on rivers. Inflatable canoes work also well. NOT the $150 vinyl cheapies. A good boat will cost you $800 or more and will last many years.
    The only person who is with us our entire life is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive. {George Carlin}

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surfcaster69
    The small catarafts (inflatable pontoon boats) you see at Cabella's and Bass Pro work well. Remember though that you will need to oar your way around with no motor. Great for pond jumping or river use. One big problem is that many lakes do not allow inflatables. Check the local rules on using inflatables where you want to fish before you buy one. Then do not buy a cheap one. $500 or more will get you started. Nice thing is you can put it in the trunk when finished and don't need a truck or trailer. You have no problems with air leaks with the good ones. Be sure to buy one with bladders in the tubes and a good 12 volt air blower to inflate and a hand/foot pump to top off the tubes. A fast dry bladder patch kit is also required just in case. There are zippers on the outer skin to access the bladders. I have used inflatables for 20+ years on rivers. Inflatable canoes work also well. NOT the $150 vinyl cheapies. A good boat will cost you $800 or more and will last many years.
    Thanks for the info. I am looking at the Outcast Cougar, and adding a 30# thrust electric to it. I fish many small ponds less than 100 acres, with limited access to them. How long does it take to inflate one with a double action hand pump?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by surfcaster69
    Could you recommend some specific brands and models? I'm very interested in getting one. I'd just want to be able to add a trolling motor and carry 2-3 rods and a few small tackle boxes, and have somewhere to tie a floating fish keeper basket or a minnow bucket that goes in the water.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smoothlures
    Could you recommend some specific brands and models? I'm very interested in getting one. I'd just want to be able to add a trolling motor and carry 2-3 rods and a few small tackle boxes, and have somewhere to tie a floating fish keeper basket or a minnow bucket that goes in the water.
    Thanks.
    This is the brand I have been looking at..

http://www.flyfishusa.com/outcast/index.htm

Check it out..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pontoons

Quote Originally Posted by smoothlures
    Thanks.
    Here is a good place to start. Copy and past to your browser or simply go to cabellas.com and look for boats.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...entId=cat21276

One thing to keep in mind is to check the weight capacity of the boats. Your weight plus gear and trolling motor/battery. The boat in the following link looks like it will work for you. Check it out here

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0040031317457a

Take your time and use the internet to look up the makers of the boats and as them questions.
    The only person who is with us our entire life is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive. {George Carlin}

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldfox
    Thanks for the info. I am looking at the Outcast Cougar, and adding a 30# thrust electric to it. I fish many small ponds less than 100 acres, with limited access to them. How long does it take to inflate one with a double action hand pump?
    Use the hand pump to top off the tubes. I used to use a foot pump but even the expensive ones break and are heavy. The double action pumps like the wonder pump work but they work you hard by making you pull and push with your upper body. Foot pumps are better if that is your only air source. Never use compressed air unless it is from an oil free compressor. The oil in compressors like the ones at garages will ruin the fabric. Buy a 12 volt blower that clips on your battery terminals. They sell from $30 to $130. The cheaper ones work well but don't last as long. Cat tubes blow up fast in any case. About 10 minutes with a pump like the wonder pump.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Same boat?

Quote Originally Posted by oldfox
    This is the brand I have been looking at..

http://www.flyfishusa.com/outcast/index.htm

Check it out..
    Interesting, I left smoothlures a reply to his question about recommending a boat and the a link to Cabellas page. The boat I saw appears to be the same boat as the one you are looking at. Small world? Check out the link in my post. Yep, same boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast