Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Feedback for rigging out a new boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Feedback for rigging out a new boat

I just bought a Tracker V16 riveted boat and have been giving thoughts on how I want to fit it out for reservoir fishing. Although I be fishing by myself, there will usually be at least two others from my family going out with me about 30% of the time.

I'd like to build a fishing deck with a swivel seat at the front of the boat. Plan was to use 1 1/4" x 1/8" aluminum angle with 1" square aluminum tubing for the frame. Top it off with CDX plywood wrapped in carpet and build two storage compartments below it. Here are some of my questions......

1. Am I oversizing the framing support?
    2. What thickness plywood should be used?
    3. What hatches are recommended for gaining access below the deck that would still support traffic on it?
    4. Should the hatches be carpetted? If they're not carpetted, is there a slip hazard?
    5. How do I figures out the right height pedestal used for the seat?
    6. Is this a good place to store the accessories battery (and the future bow mount tm)?

I'm looking at a transom mount Minn Kota Maxuum with 80# thrust and a 42" shaft. Thought was to extend battery and tm life while providing some additional speed. Will be planning on a bow mount at a future date when more funds are available.

1. Am I on the right track with this?
    2. Is this too much motor?
    3. Once I add the bow mount, do I keep both motors?
    4. TM batteries in the transom compartment, should I cover this area with more plywood and carpet?
    5. Is this the best place for the CB and charger?

Sorry to ask such basic questions (and so many), but I hate to do it all only to find out in the end that my head wasn't in the right place.

Any other vee-hulls out there that can give me some insights or willing to share some pics?

Thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you should have bought another boat... one already rigged w/ bow plat form and trolling motor.

Some of these questions can't be answered with out seeing the boat.

Project boats will break your spirit and your wallet, if you aren't real carefull. I'd do as little as possible and not get to gung ho. You want to be able to fish not WORK!
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link SteveJ. Noticed he had a budget of $6k for his boat. Mine is closer to 5k and should work. I paid a fishing show price of $1,600 delivered (about $500 under MSRP) so I off to a good start.

Want to work on the deck and TM first, then take my time on the rest of it.

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going with metal framing, why not stick with metal for the deck? 5/8 or 3/4 ply is what I would use depending on the support of the frame. The batteries up front will give you needed weight, but mak sure they are on RIB supports and not the hull. Make sure they are fastened down. Forward storage of batteries gives you easier access to power supply for TM, DF, shocker, cig igniter for dinomite, etc.

Make the hatches all out of the same material. Carpet it all.

Where you fish is where the TM should be. One is sufficient. You can put a transom mount on the front.

Hope this helps.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

A 55# motor will be more than enough for your boat. If you buy a Minnkota motor, I know you can just take the screw out of the top, and spin it 180 degrees and use it on the bow with a proper mount. 5/8 outdoor plywood should be fine, get the kind that's sanded on one side as it's made for outdoor projects. If the boat isn't going to be stored indoors or covered from the weather, epoxy coat the plywood on all sides and edges after making your cuts. I think I would start the plywood at the back of the front bench seat and extend it to the bow using verticle plywood bulkheads. If you plan it right, it could be removable and not have to drill holes or make modifications to the original hull. Cabelas sells deck hatches of various sizes. Marine carpet would be your cheapest deck covering.

Post Thanks / Like

deleted
    Last edited by pescatore; 12-14-2008 at 10:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    A 55# motor will be more than enough for your boat. If you buy a Minnkota motor, I know you can just take the screw out of the top, and spin it 180 degrees and use it on the bow with a proper mount.
    this is what i did cept i put a piece of marine ply at the top of the hull for a handy lil table and then got an old bow mount and put the tiller steer t/m in it and mounted the whole thing to the ply.

Also notice that the trolling motor head is not quite ever with the motor. i did it at 70 deg to keep from leaning way out over the edge to steer

hope this helps
    Last edited by stinkies daddy; 01-26-2008 at 06:45 PM.
    Stinkies Daddy