Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Do roadrunners spin?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do roadrunners spin?

I just took one of the few i have and played with it in the pool. I never could get the blade to spin, just flop here and there. Im not sure if it wont spin because of the swivel being painted or the placement causing the blade to hit the body? Will an unpainted swivel cause the bladfe to really spin?
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robbor
    I just took one of the few i have and played with it in the pool. I never could get the blade to spin, just flop here and there. Im not sure if it wont spin because of the swivel being painted or the placement causing the blade to hit the body? Will an unpainted swivel cause the bladfe to really spin?
    The paint on the swivel is probably causing it not to spin.
    Wiggle the eye part of the swivel pretty good, this should
    free it to where it will spin.
    I assume you are moving it fast enough to make it spin.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

Although I'm no expert with the RoadRunners, I have used them quite a bit and caught some really nice fish on them. The blade should spin freely and easily when dragged through the water, even at low speeds. If I were you, I would sand down any paint that has clogged the swivel or blade attachments until the blade spins easily when pulled through the water. The painted blade should be fine, it's just the attachment point of the swivel to the blade and the attachment point of the swivel to the head of the RoadRunner that needs to be freely moving and spinning when pulled through the water. Just my opinion, but the more action from the blade the better when trying to fool them old lunkers.

IF YOU'RE FISHIN ON CREDIT, YOU'D BETTER SWITCH TO DEBIT!!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Hey Robbor ...

Quote Originally Posted by robbor
    yes, paint spillover onto the swivel assembly will cause the blade to not spin like it should. As the other guys have said, getting all the paint residue out of the swivel should help. I've also noticed that the swivel can get mashed/pinched against the bottom of the lead head. I have had this occur, at times, and for a couple of reasons (that I've noticed). One is when casting, and the RR hits an object (rock, dock, tree, bridge pilon) ... another is when a good sized fish is hooked inside the mouth. When casting with a RR, I usually "test" it to make sure the blade is spinning ... dragging it thru the water between every few casts, or after hard contact with the above mentioned objects, and/or catching a sizeable fish. If it's not spinning, I take my thumb and gently push the swivel towards the front end of the RR, then re-test by dragging it thru the water in front of me, before beginning my casting again.

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Where I buy my roadrunners there is no paint on the eyes or the swivel assembly. If you want to fish and not fool around fixing what shouldn't need fixing in the first place, look around for better quality- and yes you may have to pay more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    yes, paint spillover onto the swivel assembly will cause the blade to not spin like it should. As the other guys have said, getting all the paint residue out of the swivel should help. I've also noticed that the swivel can get mashed/pinched against the bottom of the lead head. I have had this occur, at times, and for a couple of reasons (that I've noticed). One is when casting, and the RR hits an object (rock, dock, tree, bridge pilon) ... another is when a good sized fish is hooked inside the mouth. When casting with a RR, I usually "test" it to make sure the blade is spinning ... dragging it thru the water between every few casts, or after hard contact with the above mentioned objects, and/or catching a sizeable fish. If it's not spinning, I take my thumb and gently push the swivel towards the front end of the RR, then re-test by dragging it thru the water in front of me, before beginning my casting again.

.... cp
    Thats right CP!!!! 95% of the time it's the barrel swivel that needs gently bent towards the nose of the jig head.... If you hold the jig head between you thumb and forefinger with one hand with the nose of the bait at 12 O' clock position.. you can take you other thumb and press the swivel to the T.D.C.... Easy now!!! Cause you don't want to push too hard.. It will bend easily and you will feel when you hit the stops... Good Day!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are chasing The BIG Crappie with them, don't worry about it spinning. The slower you move a RR, the better chance you have of landing that 2lb+ Crappie. Just a light wobble on the blade is really all it needs. RR's should be moved ever so slow for Crappie, speed them up for the other fish and get the thing spinning. They are by far one of the top commercially made Crappie baits available. Go get 'em!
    Last edited by Crappie Reaper; 01-26-2008 at 11:24 PM.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper
    If you are chasing The BIG Crappie with them, don't worry about it spinning. The slower you move a RR, the better chance you have of landing that 2lb+ Crappie. Just a light wobble on the blade is really all it needs. RR's should be moved ever so slow for Crappie, speed them up for the other fish and get the thing spinning. They are by far one of the top commercially made Crappie baits available. Go get 'em!
    ditto

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper
    Always fished em' slow.... Though you are giving me something to think about.. The ol' injured bait fish trick.. After all thats the name of the game.. Thanks!!