Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappies feed looking up!

Paul of Harrisburg Guest

Default Crappies feed looking up!

In fact, they will feed on the surface taking flies as they skim along. I was astounded when I discovered this, two years ago. I had caught crappie on jigs, minnows, etc. for many years, but they will take dry flies too!
    There is a place I fish in the spring, and the craneflies (look like giant mosquitos) sometimes buzz along on top of the water when they hatch in cool weather. The swirls I noticed looked like bluegills taking something, but after figuring out a fly they'd take, I found that more of them were crappie than 'gills, and good size ones too! Just thought I's share that, and see if anyone else has had similar results with crappie.
    Good Fishin'.....Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing that information Paul.

I often see fish sipping bugs off the surface of the waters. Never thought it was crappie. But man that is great to know. I may try to cast with a dry fly next time I see that happening. I bet I will need a long 12 ft 2lb tippet to sneak up on them as I bet that they are rather easily spooked when they are at the surface like that. I know some spots that are prime for that type of fishing during the next mayfly hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul of Harrisburg
    In fact, they will feed on the surface taking flies as they skim along. I was astounded when I discovered this, two years ago. I had caught crappie on jigs, minnows, etc. for many years, but they will take dry flies too!
    There is a place I fish in the spring, and the craneflies (look like giant mosquitos) sometimes buzz along on top of the water when they hatch in cool weather. The swirls I noticed looked like bluegills taking something, but after figuring out a fly they'd take, I found that more of them were crappie than 'gills, and good size ones too! Just thought I's share that, and see if anyone else has had similar results with crappie.
    Good Fishin'.....Paul
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I see them feeding topwater quiet a bit on one of the lakes I fish, and they make a different swirl than a bluegill. Once you get the hang of it, you can tell them from the other panfish, and target them with casts.