Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: tempura crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default tempura crappie

I don't know if this has been discussed but I tried something tonight that was AWESOME. I been getting into asian dishes and cooking styles and remembered NJ Crappie mentioning in a post that he used some tempura batter on some crappies as the batter and he placed them in Sushi rolls. Now I'm normally a dry batter, corn-meal with spices kinda guy. Always have been. But I made some Tempura batter and fried them up and OH MY GOSH!!! The batter is simple and I would assume we have all used it before but called it something else. Take one egg, in a bowl whip the egg. Add 1 CUP ICE COLD WATER and whip that into the egg. Then add 1 CUP flower and mix for about 10 seconds leavings some lumps making sure TO NOT OVER MIX. Place fillets in batter then fry at 350 until golden. I had some Duck Sauce in the fridge. I made some steamed rice. Placed the rice on plate, Tempura filet/strips on top. Drizzled with soy sauce and then a little duck sauce and I thought I was gonna slap myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Boy you making me hungry and I am fat enough already!!

Post Thanks / Like

I like me some tempura shrimp so I know that is got to be some good stuff
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

mmmmmmmmm tempura....
    Proud Veteran, United States Marines

Post Thanks / Like

I have done tempura crappie before and turned out good, I have to try this out this sounds pretty good. If you have a chance try the rice flour, it has lighter taste than the regular flour and also gives it a nice crunch.