Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about your GPS, please.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tell me about your GPS, please.

I have had a handheld GPS for a long while now, 7+years. The one I have is in the weeds and I need a new one.

The one I have didn't accept sd cards and you couldn't load lake maps on it. It did allow me to mark a spot and get back to it which has worked out ok but, it's not as slick as many of the newer features that most come with now.

If you have a handheld do you wish you would have bought one that permanently mounts to the boat instead?

If you have a permanently mouted one do you wish you would have gotten a handheld?

Do they make a good portable one that has a screen big enough to use in a car without running off the road trying to look at a little picture?

Do they make one that has a cell phone or camera or both built in? (That would be top shelf if they did, I always forget one of them in the truck no matter what.)

Color would be nice, SD card is a have to have.

I don't know GPS from Hogan's goat, help me out if you can.

Thanks,

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Default have both

and I use both ,mainly as a backup in case Murphys Law happens,,I will absolutely not fish if my Lowrance 25c goes out(have a backup fer that too),I have a lowrance h20 I finder,which is a great little unit for way under 300 bucks,holds sd card of maps etc..just aint color like the 25c is but works just as well..I hear folks talk about Garmin products,they must be purty good too,,shop around ,dont get on the first horse that comes by,there's a price and product that'll fit your needs out there,just gotta look,I'd say go to a few Bass Pro Shops and get a good idea on how they work and whats the best for the buck..The guy in lectronics most likely will answer all your questions,,I know lowrance is good at support of their stuff cause I always call and ask when I dont know,,I do know that the larger the screen ,the more you can see,I'd steer away from everything under 7 inch's..ceptin handhelds ofcourse...ss
    It is most fortunate for those in power that people don't think :::A.Hitler

Post Thanks / Like

I used a Garmin Map 76 for several years and was happy with it but decided to upgrade to a Map76Cx, which is a color unit and it has a more sensitive receiver. I've been using it for a few trips now and really like it. It does update much faster than my Map76 and the color is easier to see. The screen isn't all that big but unless you're in need of glasses I don't think you would have any trouble seeing it. I paid just under 300 bux with shipping included from www.PCNation.com.

I like having a handheld unit. I can take it with me in another boat, out on the bank to get waypoints when the lake is down and I can use it for driving. It slips into a marine mount on the deck of my boat and I have a 12-volt adapter permanently wired in under my deck so I have power for it and don't have to replace batteries.

It has a mini-SD card and you can get maps for it. It already has a base map with highways and streets. I think I am going to be real happy with it. If you think you need an electronic compass and a barometric altimeter you can get the Map76CXS for about 50 bux more (I think).
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lowrance Ifinder also. It's a good little hand held unit that accepts SD cards. I had to update the software right after I got the unit and has worked great ever since. I have heard the Garmins are a great GPS also but the only drawback is that you can only buy Garmin micro SD cards with their lake maps on them.

I have heard of some people buying the GPS head units and putting mounts in both their vehicle and boats but that would cost more than a handheld GPS and a small vehicular GPS put together I would believe.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Garmin e-trex venture. I bought it online at a Garmin dealership for $149.00. And the power cord for $20.00. I also picked up a mount for it for about $30.00. It works real well for what I use it for; setting waypoints on brushpiles, hotspots and directions(on the water) etc... It is color and comes pre-loaded with a decent base map. It does not come with a sd slot but contains 24meg of internal memory. It is also has WAAS which makes it very acurate, within 5-7 feet of your waypoint.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can tell you is get one that will work with Navionics maps, especially the premium ones. You will not believe the detail on them. if you are on a lake like Toledo Bend or Sam Rayburn that is in HD on that card it will show 1' elevation changes!

Makes underwater humps looks like a big old bulls eye.

Oh yeah I have a LCX 27 C and love the extra size to see all that detail better. If you make it over here or near here I would be glad to show you what it's like.

Maybe tomorrow I will take a pic of a screen shot for you and post it here.
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Once you decide and start pricing, check this site out. They usually have really decent pricing.

http://www.adventuregps.com/
    David McCarley

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Greg, I have a Lowrance H20c and love it. Great little unit although a little awkward. But........ I just received a promo from Delorme on their Earthmate PN-20 handheld. This unit has it all. Complete Street and Topographical Maps with the included FULL VERSION of Topo USA 7.0, U.S. Regional Routable Highway Maps, and use NetLink, to Download Satallite Imagery, USGS Quads and Nautical Charts. Base price $369, and it's in color. I have use Delorme maps and gps antenna since 1996 on my laptop to travel the country and I give them a 2 thumbs up. In fact if someone want to buy my Lorance I'll gladly trade up. Check it out at Delorme.com.
    From the bayou,
    PawPaw "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. I was just looking for some recommendations.. I want to use mine to set waypoints (multiple), lake maps and for out walking in the woods (tons of waypoints).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake View Post
    I used a Garmin Map 76 for several years and was happy with it but decided to upgrade to a Map76Cx, which is a color unit and it has a more sensitive receiver. I've been using it for a few trips now and really like it. It does update much faster than my Map76 and the color is easier to see. The screen isn't all that big but unless you're in need of glasses I don't think you would have any trouble seeing it. I paid just under 300 bux with shipping included from www.PCNation.com.

I like having a handheld unit. I can take it with me in another boat, out on the bank to get waypoints when the lake is down and I can use it for driving. It slips into a marine mount on the deck of my boat and I have a 12-volt adapter permanently wired in under my deck so I have power for it and don't have to replace batteries.

It has a mini-SD card and you can get maps for it. It already has a base map with highways and streets. I think I am going to be real happy with it. If you think you need an electronic compass and a barometric altimeter you can get the Map76CXS for about 50 bux more (I think).
    Can you export your stored waypoints to your computer?

What I'm wanting to do is use my waypoint data to overlay over maps on the computer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast