Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: new spot turned out very good

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default new spot turned out very good

I went trying out new spots today. Had an afternoon to fish and didn't feel like driving 45 minutes to my favorite lake. I decided to fish Wilson. Had a few spots in mind. I hit two spots catching only a stripe and one small crappie. Finally tried out this one spot I have bass fished before, but never crappie fished. It turned out to be one heck of a spot. There was unbelievable structure at 40 feet. I wish I had taken som epictures on the graph when I came over some of them. The fish were right on the bottom. I only caught 11, but 9 of them were over 14 inches, and the biggest in this picture was 16. I also caught teh biggest bluegill I have seen in a while, at 40 feet!! I hope I qualify for the regional on WIlson and Pickwick. This spot could come in handy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

WOW - what a nice fish. There eyes must have been buggin' out pulling them up from 40'.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking fish. I think you should send a bunch down river to Pickwick dam..LOL and let me catch them.
    I always hated fishing that lake. All the deep water. Now Wheeler and Pickwick I like.
    Pete

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish David and a great overall catch....What was the water temp there? I wouldn't think fish would be that deep in AL. lol
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Smokey Guest

Way to go thats a beauty. Thanks for showing it.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Waters
    I went trying out new spots today. Had an afternoon to fish and didn't feel like driving 45 minutes to my favorite lake. I decided to fish Wilson. Had a few spots in mind. I hit two spots catching only a stripe and one small crappie. Finally tried out this one spot I have bass fished before, but never crappie fished. It turned out to be one heck of a spot. There was unbelievable structure at 40 feet. I wish I had taken som epictures on the graph when I came over some of them. The fish were right on the bottom. I only caught 11, but 9 of them were over 14 inches, and the biggest in this picture was 16. I also caught teh biggest bluegill I have seen in a while, at 40 feet!! I hope I qualify for the regional on WIlson and Pickwick. This spot could come in handy.

That is a BEAUTY!!!

Nice fish!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys. Wilson lake is a bathtub. The water is right at 100 feet at the dam. The chanell is very deep most of the way. I know some guys that have been catching them is 60 feet. I caught a few today. The new spot was being protected by mother nature with 3 foot waves, managed to catch 3, one good one. Went searching for new spots and found another. Caught 10 keepers in 20 mph winds, drizzle rain off and on. Feel really good about those 10. Average 12". I caught most of them in 20-30 feet. Water temp both days were between 51-53.

Driving over to Grenada in the morining to pre fish for Saturday's tournament. Going to try something completely different from the first 2 trips. Our speciallty is tighlining/trolling. That is what I am going to stick to. That is what won the tournament there last week at the crappiemasters. Wish me luck. I will really need it. This lake has my number. I am frustrated with it.
    Last edited by David Waters; 03-23-2005 at 09:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys. Wilson lake is a bathtub. The water is right at 100 feet at the dam. The chanell is very deep most of the way. I know some guys that have been catching them is 60 feet. I caught a few today. The new spot was being protected by mother nature with 3 foot waves, managed to catch 3, one good one. Went searching for new spots and found another. Caught 10 keepers in 20 mph winds, drizzle rain off and on. Feel really good about those 10. Average 12". I caught most of them in 20-30 feet. Water temp both days were between 51-53.

Driving over to Grenada in the morining to pre fish for Saturday's tournament. Going to try something completely different from the first 2 trips. Our speciallty is tighlining/trolling. That is what I am going to stick to. That is what won the tournament there last week at the crappiemasters. Wish me luck. I will really need it. This lake has my number. I am frustrated with it.
    Excellent!!

I wish you the best of luck...I wish I could make it to fish that lake...I heard it produces some fantastic fish when you can find them...I do know a couple headed out there, so I can't wait to hear how you and they do at this tourney....

GOOD LUCK!!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

You will do ok David. Nice fish there in the picture. I assume that the water temps were surface water temps. Not warm enough to develop the thermocline yet. Water temps at 40 feet may be near those at the surface maybe. Not sure how that works but I assume that the water warms up from the top to the bottom until the thermocline form. If not the fish would be above the thermocline.. Not familar with that lake but that sure is a nice picture of that 16" long crappie.

Hope you do well in the tournament.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

well, am back from Grenada. Found some fish. Caught the biggest crappie I have ever caught. It is in the freezer and is going on the wall. Just under 17". Didn't weigh it, but I am sure it is 2 1/2 plus. We need 7 of those to finish in the money. Anyway, I feel a lot better about the tourney. It was worth the 3 hours there and 3 hours back. Tired, going to bed early. WIll post a terrible picture of the fish soon.