Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rocks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rocks

I was fishin my condos and brush piles today and was wondering if i got a couple buckets of rocks and dumped them around the condos and piles would it make the fishing any better or not?
    :D CRACKER :D

Post Thanks / Like

Most likely the answer is yes especially if the water is shallow where sunlight can reach those rocks. Rocks and brush piles combine to make a brush pile even better. Anytime you can get a depth change, bottom material change along with a stump or a brush pile or submerged tree the site will be better IMHO. Fish often stage around changes in the bottom material. Edge with breaks like a stump are often good holding spots. Finding these type of spots is hard unless the water is crystal clear or if you scuba dive or if you have an underwater camera. If you fish an area a lot then you can learn this information by using the depth sounder over an area over and over again.

Rocks such as Limestone can give off calcium carbonate and provide a substrate for algae to grow on. Rip rap rocks are just old sea shells or limestone which was formed from sea shells of tiny animals that lived in the ocean, died and fell into the much. Over time billions of these tiny sea shells (microscopic ones) form the limestone. Later techtonic force brought the ocean floor back up above sea level. Moutains today were once part of an ocean floor before that area of the earth was pushed up by geological forces.

So limestone in the rocks can also effect the pH of the water. Water that is acidic can be neutralized by limestone. The pH of the water near a bunch of limestone rip rap can be alkaline in nature due to the dissolution of the limestone. It's like adding baking powder to a cake mix. Have you ever added baking soda and vinegar together? You get CO2 gas formed. But then again CO2 gas forms with water and makes a weak carbonic acid. Chemistry in action. We get acid rain because the earth has lots of CO2 in the atmopshere and that acid rain helps to disolve rocks on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by okeechobee fisher
    I was fishin my condos and brush piles today and was wondering if i got a couple buckets of rocks and dumped them around the condos and piles would it make the fishing any better or not?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Moose1AM im gonna go put some rocks in tommorow :D
    :D CRACKER :D

whiplash Guest

Thumbs up rocks

Quote Originally Posted by okeechobee fisher
    thanks Moose1AM im gonna go put some rocks in tommorow :D
    always thinking ,ain,t you