Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New line on spinners

Post Thanks / Like

Default New line on spinners

What is the best way to put line on open face spinners and close face spinners so the line will not twist up?

Post Thanks / Like

The rule is to put the on the reel the same way it comes off the spool (same direction). It will still twist a little bit. I put the line on the spool then I pull out about 40 feet and reel it back in. Then I pull out 40 feet again and reel it in. That seems to help my twisting. Every few trips I pull out 40 feet and reel it back in several times without anything on the end of the line.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a way of getting the line spool vertical instead of laying flat on the floor, you will defeat most of the twisting issues. This is very easy to do if you have a vice of any kind. Just get a bolt with a nut and a washer, bolt needs to be about 3/8 and about 3" long. Clamp the head of the bolt in your vice, sticking out the side not straight up. Slide the spool of line on the bolt, then a big washer then the nut. Snug the nut down a little bit, just enough so that the spool won't keep spinning when you stop reeling. Run the line through an eye or two on the rod to keep it straight, tie it on the spool, start reeling. Pinch the line between your index finger and thumb when reeling it on, reel SLOW! Don't go fast, take it slow. This should put it on about as well as you can without a line machine. If it twists at all, stop, flip the spool over and continue. This will require you to move the bolt to the other side of the vice.

If your line is already on the reel and is twisted there is a way to fix it. When you are on the water, remove the jig or weight from your line, there should nothing on your line. Kick the boat in gear, drop the line in the water, open the bail and let it all out straight behind the boat. Drag the entire length of line in the water for about 30 seconds. Now reel it back in. I promise you, every twist will be gone.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jem270
    The rule is to put the on the reel the same way it comes off the spool (same direction).
    That's the general rule, but you need to read the instructions that come with the reel. All my reels are Daiwa and Shimano, and they tell you in the instructions NOT to do that. Instead, they say to spool the reel like a baitcaster, as in the pic here:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

Post Thanks / Like

I got one of the line minders from Basspro, solved my problems.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...10000_100-10-9

A bad day of fishing
    beats a good day at work.

Jerry

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Db4d ...

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco
    That's the general rule, but you need to read the instructions that come with the reel. All my reels are Daiwa and Shimano, and they tell you in the instructions NOT to do that. Instead, they say to spool the reel like a baitcaster, as in the pic here:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

I've got Shimano's too ... and spool them the same as I do all my other brands, with no line twist problems. Do your reels have the "no twist" bail system ? (my Spirex's don't )

(I also read the reviews on the "Lineminder" ... and a couple of things caught my eye : people were trying to use the spinning reel setup to spool baitcasters :rolleyes: and there wasn't but one single positive review out of seven :D )

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    I've got Shimano's too ... and spool them the same as I do all my other brands, with no line twist problems. Do your reels have the "no twist" bail system ? (my Spirex's don't )

(I also read the reviews on the "Lineminder" ... and a couple of things caught my eye : people were trying to use the spinning reel setup to spool baitcasters :rolleyes: and there wasn't but one single positive review out of seven :D )

... cp
    Yeah, my Shimano's are all Symetre's or Stradics. My Daiwa is a Tierra. They all have the "power roller" or "twistbuster" (depending on the brand) plus some type of levelwind system. This is key in spooling like a baitcaster.

The lower-end models may or may not have the ability to spool like a baitcaster. That's why I said to read the instructions. I'm almost positive the Shimano's below the Symetre do NOT have this feature. I'm not sure about the Daiwa's.

I've never used the Lineminder. I just posted the pic as an example of what I was talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy, I see what you meant on the reveiws, I went back and read them. The line minder is made for spinning reels and works great for me and I can see where it wouldn't work for baitcasting reels. The one Deathb4disco posted is for baitcasting reels. I keep mine loaded with a bulk spool and can respool in just a few minutes without line twist.

A bad day of fishing
    beats a good day at work.

Jerry