PDA

View Full Version : Bad Position

Dn.liner
01-22-2008, 08:11 PM
My boat has been in the shop for a month now, I usually striper fish this time of year but not this year. I have had my boat to two different mechanics with no resolve to the problem. Its one of them gost problems. Its not the fuel system not mechanical they have checked the eletrical system twice now and they are stumped. I am trying to decide to buy a new engine or just trade the hole thing in on a new one. I owe $3000 more than it is worth. That is not a good thing when your right arm and your boat are of equal importance to you. Sounds like crying but I knew you guys would understand. Is there a 12 step program for fisherman? I don,t drink so therefore I have no relief from the fishing withdrawls. Have spent many hours in the Man Cave trying to find relief. There is none. Should I buy or trade? Gentelmen I place my confidence in your advice.

CrappieHound
01-22-2008, 08:21 PM
What year and boat model do you have?

ThrillSeeker
01-22-2008, 08:54 PM
What year and boat model do you have?

Also, what's the boat doing (or not doing)?

1weezer
01-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Only you know if you can afford a new one or not. However, most of the time on a boat more than 4 or 5 years old, you will be buying some one elses problems. You can't take it with you when it's your time. Might as well enjoy life while your here. Go for the new one. You will be better off getting a new rig than you will just getting a new motor. Just make sure it's what you want. Don't skimp on the options.

Jerry Blake
01-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Maybe a third opinion is in order. Everything is fixable if you can find the problem. I had a '92 200HP Mariner that had been rebuilt before I bought it. One day out of the blue it started shutting down. Would be flying down the lake and it would be like you turned the key off. I determined that the fuel pump was cutting out but couldn't figure out why. Replaced the fuel pump and it ran great for a couple months and then started doing the same thing - fuel pump cutting off for no reason again. Took it to another shop and the mechanic/owner there thought it might be the computer and suggested we send it off to be rebuilt. Put a rebuilt computer on it and it ran great for several months and then started doing the same thing again. Took it back to the original shop and between the mechanic and I we determined that there was a loose connection in the plug from the harness to the computer because every time we would twist the connection/plug back and forth the fuel pump would turn on and off. So I replaced the plug by connecting each wire together with heat shrink crimp connectors (like 20 of them) and it ran great for several months again and then started cutting out again.

Finally I found two wires in the wiring harness way down in the bottom that apparently got skinned when the motor was rebuilt. Apparently each time I "fixed" what we thought was teh problem, I had moved the harness around enough that the wires apparently got separated so they didn't touch. Then over a period of time they would start touching again, shorting out and causing the fuel pump to shut off.

The point is that it may be something simple that you just haven't been able to track down yet. Intermittent electrical shorts or loose connections can be a real pain to track down.

Rookie12
01-22-2008, 11:42 PM
I work in a truck repair shop and thing slike this happen all the time. My wife's Durango kept shutting off and wouldn't start sometimes. Every time I looked at it, it was fine. Finally go it to mess up with me one time and found a bad cable end at the battery even though I had it off and cleaned three times. Had a CAT motor in the shop recently that would stumble when accelerating. Checked everything I knew to check. It acted like slow timing, but we never could figure it out. sent it to a CAT dealer and even they were stumped. Had problems with a Mercedes diesel engine in a Freightliner blowing head gaskets every 3 months. after 6 sets of head gaskets, he finally got a new engine. Reports came back on the old engine that they saw no reason it kept blowing head gaskets. S*^$ happens sometimes and sometimes you're on the tail end of it. It sucks, I know!!!!

Rat
01-23-2008, 02:19 AM
Keep at it, find it and fix it. Use the money you saved from not buying a new boat on new rods, reels and fishing gear! :)

stumpy76522
01-23-2008, 02:51 AM
I had a boat that ran great for a while and then would just quit. When I took it to the shop it would run fine. After many trips to the shop we found that they had ran a screw into the wiring harness when they installed my graph.

papasage
01-23-2008, 06:31 AM
go to this site and post year and modle . explain the probablem . there is a bunch of experts on the site . along with TMD . he is a merc. guroue and knowes all about other motors . if he don`t know some one on the site will .some one some where has probabley had the same probablem .

http://www.marinedr.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

also http://forums.iboats.com/

Scott S
01-23-2008, 07:25 AM
I once repowered a 10 year old boat with a new motor, never did regret it, in fact it was kind of nice not having to spend time outfitting a new boat. So I would suggest whatever fits your budget best and that makes you happy.

Sounds like your mind is made up to buy, if not spend a day or two of the striper time (since your not fishing) inspecting the electrical and fuel systems of your motor and boat for loose and or damaged areas and connections. It seems like intermittent or nuisance type of problems are usually simple inexpensive fixes in the end.
I learned this lesson back in Feb. 1983 after spending most of my weeks' vacation (meant for crappie fishing) trailering my boat back and forth to the shop and spending $400.00 on supposed repairs. In the end it was two bad fuel lines.

You might want to describe your rig and the symptom, chances are good you'll get some suggestions.

Good luck.

skeetbum
01-23-2008, 07:34 AM
The Iboats site stated above by Papasage has helped me in the past. Great folks, and educated too. I want a new boat so bad I can taste it, so I'll reserve comment on that. If I liked the boat, I'd repower if I could swing it. Good luck.

beagle man
01-23-2008, 09:56 AM
what ever you do dont do what I did, I have a good bass tracker,not one thing wrong with it bought new in 2003. needed more room for me and my crutches. so I bought a 87 model been a lot of work getting it going had a motor problem.hope I got that solved, the mecanic found a bad connection on the side of the motor. starts real easy now... guess I told you that to tell you this If you buy new and It dont work just right it's the dealers money to fix it not your's.... good luck

FisherMike
01-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I would say do as Papasage suggest at TMD's site.

They are 'in the know' and are great with there help.

DRPEPPER
01-23-2008, 01:11 PM
I like the idea of the twelve step program for fishermen. I have inherited grand kids and my fishing has ceased until they get old enough to go with me. Also, I have cried about this before, But I quit snuff two years ago. Ever since then, the fishing has not been the same.
Now for your delima....
It is going to be something simple sounds like. However, I know many of the reasons a feller needs a new boat. I suggest trading it in then financing with an equity line. Man, then you will have a some tax releif while you are out chasing them slabs. This reason worked with my wife anyway:rolleyes:
DP

Outlaw1&2
01-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Even new boats have kinks in em on most occassions,if you like your old boat and it's in good shape, I'd say fix or repower it,case in point in I've had 15 different boats over the years,I sold my pro team 175 with a 75 merc in exc cond that I loved ,I had for 8 years with not a minutes trouble,cause I thought I had to have a new one, then when I went to buy the new one, the prices shocked me so that I wound with almost the same boat I had before Pro Team 190 with a 90 Merc except for one thing (The Money).The Moral is if you like your boat that you have now fix it,cause the new ones ain't cheap.I've also had to carry this new one back to shop once already.

Dn.liner
01-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks guy,s I should have explained my problem. It is interminet, I can run good for a trip or two and then the next time the engine will be running at WOT and suddenly slows to half speed and starts vibrating. It will idle just fine but when you go back to speed up she just shudders. I have been to I-Boats and other sites for help and found tha everything suggested has been done, repaired or replaced. I even called the manufactuer and everything they suggested had already been done. The mechanic that has it now has gone over this motor with a fine tooth comb, but has not given up. I have been told before yea we got the problem fixed only to have same problem. I have spent $1100 so far on repairs. Going to try Abra Kadabra next.

Thanks for your advice.

FisherMike
01-23-2008, 08:49 PM
Dn.liner

Maybe I missed the post on what type of boat. Is it an outboard with exterior tank?
Are you a little mechanically inclined? Some of are and some of aren't.
If you are and have the basic tools. Most people can do a repair (with little guidance) themselves.
I don't claim to know it all,but your problem does sound basic.
Carburation/ fuel.
Don't panic.
Not to take away from other suggestions though.
New boat,motor and trailer? Absolutely,,,,,,,,,, if you'r able.

Although I've had mine for 15 years now and see no reason to change. That's after 2 different motors.

BamaMan
01-24-2008, 03:51 AM
Give us more info. make, hp, year ect. I have never paid to have any thing fixed in 46 years.

Later
BamaMan

gone fission
01-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Like FisherMike said.

And for what it's worth; since I've been using Sta-Bil in my fuel systems last 10 or so yrs I have had very few related problems.

Good luck.

Dn.liner
01-24-2008, 08:52 PM
The culprit is a 70hp Johnson 99/2000. I have already been through the fuel system with all new hoses squeeze bulb, filters and added a fuel water separator. The carbs have been serviced and cleaned. I also ran on a remote tank to make sure that there were no tank issues. The mechanic told me today that it is droping a cylinder, but it is not mechanical. This is starting to sound like a Steven King novel. Two mechanics took it out, while one was driving the other was in the back pulling wires and checking sensors. He said it was not starving for fuel. Oh yea the original tank is below deck. They tell me now that they are going to call in another mechanic to check it out. I spoke with a guy that earns a living working on Johnsons and he told me that he had the exact same engine with the same problem and he never did fix it. This is starting to work on my mind. Grandson asked me last Sat. Poppy are we ever going to see our boat again. Oh well the Lord said that hard times would make us stronger. He was right I can now bust hickory nuts with my fist.

ironbeer
01-25-2008, 02:48 PM
this isn't hard times it's just really inconvenient. when i have problems like this that is a bit inconvenient to me i think of others thats really goin through hard times, and it kinda helps me get over it a bit

EDDY CREEK BANDIT
01-25-2008, 02:54 PM
There is also a site called Bass Boat Central that a lot of Mechanics monitor. I would try them. They seem to find a fix for everything that is posted.
THE BANDIT

ncnat
01-25-2008, 05:49 PM
My boat has been in the shop for a month now, I usually striper fish this time of year but not this year. I have had my boat to two different mechanics with no resolve to the problem. Its one of them gost problems. Its not the fuel system not mechanical they have checked the eletrical system twice now and they are stumped. I am trying to decide to buy a new engine or just trade the hole thing in on a new one. I owe $3000 more than it is worth. That is not a good thing when your right arm and your boat are of equal importance to you. Sounds like crying but I knew you guys would understand. Is there a 12 step program for fisherman? I don,t drink so therefore I have no relief from the fishing withdrawls. Have spent many hours in the Man Cave trying to find relief. There is none. Should I buy or trade? Gentelmen I place my confidence in your advice.
You could come to High Rock and fish with me for those little 1/2 pound speckled stripers:D and watch me drink till you get your boat fixed.

SUNDROP
01-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Sounds like the rings are sticking. If a piston ring sticks to the piston it wont seal the cylinder properly and allows combustion pressure to bypass the rings so the cylinder "skips". If the rings are sticking there is too much carbon buildup on the pistons or not enough oil injection to keep them lubed. I would de-carbon the heck out of it, pre-mix a fresh tank of fuel and block off the oil injection (if you have it). Then you can be sure your getting enough mix. Add some SEAFOAM cleaner and run it to death!!!! and see what happens.....

Couls also be a cracked sparkplug or wire breaking down intermittently. Just because it is new these days doesnt mean its any good.

ky-slabseeker
01-25-2008, 09:25 PM
The first thing I would do is replace the anti siphon valve in the bottom of your tank.If that dont work it sounds like a stator or a trigger breaking down once it gets hot.

superdave1984
01-26-2008, 12:17 AM
I am new when it comes to boat motors but I have owned Fords all my life so I am pretty mechanical. It sounds very much like a vacuum leak. Something gets blown loose after a while and it sucks LOTS of air, hence the WOT. This is all just pulling theories out of thin air of course. But it does sound like it's an air problem not fuel. Just my $.02

skeetbum
01-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Dn.liner, As I read all the posts i noticed that no one suggested to check the power pack or computer or brain box or whatever they call it on your particular motor. A marine mechanic friend chased a problem for a long time and finally changed out the unit I mentioned with another USED one. problem solved. Most electronic problems are go or blow, but this one was on its way out but couldn't make up its mind. If you could find a used one, thru your mechanics contacts, that you could test yours with it might save you some large $ (no returns on elec parts) and get you squared away. Just input, I hire mechanics same as you. Good luck.

BamaMan
01-26-2008, 04:45 AM
I say it the Stator. Replace Stator and the Trigger and it will be fixed. Don't let the shop tell you they checked it with a ohm meter
because it want test it right. you need a special meter to test it with and most boat repair shops don't have the tool, it's very expensive I here.
your parts are around $200.00 to $250.00 the parts go under the fly wheel.
don't know what labor would be. I bought a fly wheel puller my self and replaced my parts and my boat runs like new. Not hard to do just buy a book.

Later
BamaMan

SUNDROP
01-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Good point Bama. Some of the tools are too pricey and most shops don't test a hot engine!!

Doodlesock
01-26-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm a mechanic but not a boat mechanic so I'm just guessing.
Your problem doesn't sound mechanical to me.
You eliminated the tank. Did you also eliminate ALL of the fuel hoses?
If so I think I would look hard at the electrical.
You might check out: www.maxrules.com if you haven't already. I got some help there for a Mercruiser inboard and an OLD Evinrude.
Please post what the problem turns out to be when you find it.

TryTooFish
01-26-2008, 10:46 AM
I had a 90hp merc that had similar issue's. Took it to the shop,they checked everything.found nothing. thought carbon buildup may be the culprit! They sold me some Yamaha "Ring Free" put it in the tank. Ran the he** out of it for a while. Unbelievable change for the better! Guess I spent too much time trolling with it!

crappiekiller2
01-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Seafoam works great on cleaning carbon out of motors. I use it in every tank I run thru my boat.

Outlaw1&2
01-26-2008, 01:04 PM
I do have one simple thing for you to look at , you say you replaced the fuel line ,make sure all conections are tight,a air leak in the fuel system will cause intermittant running problems under power,happened to me one time, if that's not it, its probly something electonic gettin hot and shutting down.

JohnMeador609
01-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Check and make sure the reeds are sealing

Matt Smith
01-26-2008, 09:36 PM
I think I'd run a Seafoam treatment. That will decarbonize the motor.

This link will walk you through the process: http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=2589

garyv
01-27-2008, 08:50 AM
I had a problem like that with a 75 merc changed everythng out , wires plugs stator blew out fuel tank and it ended up being the fuel connector at the motor had got just loose enough to let a shot or air in if you ran the motor just right it would kick down from air in the fuel..
try connecting the fuel line directly to the motor with a hose barb fitting and give that a try..
Just my 2 cents
Garyv

Dn.liner
01-27-2008, 06:13 PM
The stator and power pack have been replaced. The compression checked out good. As far as the fuel lines they have all been replaced, all connectors, squeeze bulb and filters. Tank has been drained, also have ran Sea Foam through system on several accasions. Plugs and plug wires, thermostat, coils, ran on remote tank with different fule line and connector. Problem is interminet. Runs good some days others she falls on her face. Allways starts good and idles fine. This allways happens at WOT. Carbs have been cleaned and checked. The Grimlin lives. I will be talking with mechanics this week and will discuss the theory of sticking rings. They are looking hard at the electronics and wires. Thanks for your suggestions and support. The man that fixes my motor can have my best bird dog and his choice of any pocket knife I have.

Doodlesock
01-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Superdave mentioned it. I'll mention it again because of the laundry list of stuff you have replaced or verified good. Check for a vacuum leak. I have better luck with starting fluid not carb cleaner. As far as the vacuum lines go remove them and inspect, bend, strech every inch. They always seem to crack right where I can't see if I try and leave them on. With hose being as cheap as it is just replacing it all isn't a bad idea either.

SUNDROP
01-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Starting to lean heavily toward electrical short Does it have coils?