Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: signs of the crappie bites

Post Thanks / Like

Default signs of the crappie bites

Anyone seen any service berry or redbud coming to life?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Not here in Illinois. I have redbud and dogwoods in my yard and you can bet I watch them closely. Not only the crappie bite good at the time they are blooming, the mushrooms are up. Crappie and morel mushrooms, now that is the finest eating you will find!

Post Thanks / Like

No but the Pussy Willow Trees here are in flower now.

I also saw a shrub that was in flower but could not figure out what type of shrub bush it was. It was planted in front of the PVC store here in Evansville, IN. It was not a dogwood but looked similar to a dogwood shrub.

I am at a latitude of 30.00.00

Quote Originally Posted by gary
    Anyone seen any service berry or redbud coming to life?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Moose, I know where Evansville is, I have sold some good coondogs in the Ellis Park race track parking lot to fellows who met me there to save driving all of the way to my house. You folks probably have had daffodills blooming the last 8-10 days while my wife's daffodills are just starting to bloom. There are a number of signs to watch for to know if the crappie are biting but the dogwood bloom is the surest sign. If the dogwoods are blooming, the crappie are biting.
    Another way to check is the water temperature. Find some 60 degree water this time of the year and you will probably find some crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie and morel mushrooms, now that is the finest eating you will find!

Ah, how lucky you are. The "ONLY" thing i miss about Indiana since moving to South Carolina, is down here we have no morels.

Post Thanks / Like

Word has always been that the crappie spawn when the dogwoods bloom, and they are blooming now....but the water is still 57 deg. in my home lake. Might be a good indicator, but not always time correct. :D

Post Thanks / Like

lakeman,

Sure you have morels down there. And for all the rest of you morel hunters out there..check out last years progress maps..

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/morels...ress_2004.html

This site is very cool...I check it often this time of year.
    Missouri-Fishing.com! Total Fishing Resource for Missouri Anglers!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It's my belief ......

that ground temperatures are responsible for the timing of blooms on various plants & trees. Lake water temps are affected by rain water temps and ground water runoff temps, as well as length and angle of sunlight. It's just a coincidence that the temp ranges for certain plants coincides with the water temps, preferred by certain fish to spawn in. The fish don't know that the plants are blooming :rolleyes: ... they just know when the temps get to a certain point, they get the urge to merge :D !!
    Nonetheless ... that doesn't mean that I ignore the coincidence !! There's usually a little "truth" in most of the "old sayings". They're a guide - not rules ... and, the ones that last for many generations, are usually "experiences" linked to those coincidences.
    I've heard the "dogwoods bloom" saying linked to the spawning of Bass, Channel Catfish, White Bass, and Crappie ... all of which spawn, or go into pre-spawn feeding mode, during the water temp range of 55-65degrees. And since the fish are generally in shallower water then - and easier to find, therefore easier to catch - and the Dogwood trees start blooming when the ground temps are in that range ...... the connection is made. ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

This Week Ought To Turn The Run On!!daytime Temps In The 60"s -rain A Few Days.look Out!!!!good Fishin To Ya!!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

the red buds are just beginning to show. I have noticed a little bit of purple showing on my way to Cedar last couple of trips. My allergies let me know when the crappie are biting. When snot is running down my nose and my eyes are nearly swollen shut, the fish are biting real good.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast