Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Crappie fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Crappie fishing

Hey fellow Michigan crappie fisherman,

I'm a walleye fanatic and mainly fish the Saginaw bay area. I live in Pontiac and with the price of gas I'm going to start fishing some of the local lakes around here for crappies. I've never intentionally fished for crappies so I have a lot to learn about fishing for them. Any tips about the what and where I would appreciate. I start fishing as soon as the ice melts so if any of you crappie fisherman fish that early and don't have a boat I always have room for someone to join me. When I was in the Marine Corps we always welcomed someone that didn't have a boat to join us. I'm also at

[email protected]

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Hey ONE SHOT. Good to have you aboard. Make sure you check other state boards for good information. What works in other states will work where you are. I never fished for walleye in Saginaw Bay but I had a friend that had a boat at Jerry's Marina and we fished for perch around Charity Island. Caught a bunch of nice perch there.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey ONE SHOT. Welcome from North Carolina.I get up to Northern Lower on the east side a few times a year. I have not targeted Crappie up there much but hqave fished Fletchers in alpena a bunch for pike and bass. I fish fo crappie a lot down here though and it isnt that hard to find them. This time of year they are deep and hanging on structure. Drop a jig with a minnow down to them and catch a bunch. Its fun when you find som slabs 2lb or better and usually when you find them you find a lot of them and you also found a good spot to return to time and time again. Find several spots and always catch fish on one or the other of them. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from MISSOURI! Lots of good folks here always willin to help.Crappie fishing will get in your blood. Stop by and chat sometime. GOOD FISHIN
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, One Shot. Check out Stoney Creek lake. It's probably about 1/2 hour east of you since you're in Pontiac. Lake Orion and Oxbow areas might be good, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the welcome.

I fished Lake Orion last year and caught a few crappies but not any big ones. Last year I was fishing out of the Bolles Harbor Marina in Monroe, right after I could get my boat in there after winter. We went into the Consumers water discharge channel hoping to catch a few early walleye. We were using slip bobbers with large minnows and blade baits. We "accidently" caught 4 crappies in there, all 4 were over 12 inches long. That's where I'll be at in March!!!

One Shot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sandy's Marina

In March, instead of going out behind Consumers Energy, try Sandy's Marina in Belleville! Me and my buddies kill the crappie at Sandy's from March to June! You'll caught a limit or more every time!!
    Detroit Crappie Killa

Post Thanks / Like

welcome one shot glad to have ya
    Supreme Leader of the Missouri Crappie Militia.........

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome one shot from Springfield, Mo. Walleye and crappie are a good combo.
    Fishing is always good. Catching is sometimes bad

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Silverbasskilla,

where is Sandy's marina at in Belleville? I've never fished in Belleville or been there. 90% of the fishing that I've done has been North in the Saginaw area for walleye, but if the crappie-r-a-biting like you say there I'll make the trip. Are you in a boat or fishing from the docks or shoreline? Thanks, Oneshot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast