Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: cano fishing at blacksher

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default cano fishing at blacksher

who was this .from the cordale dispatch publication Date: 2005-03-18

I finally got to take the writer from Georgia Outdoor News fishing this past weekend, although we did have to postpone our scheduled Friday trip until Saturday because of the brisk winds buffeting the area.

We first put out at the main boat ramp at Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park and headed east toward the railroad trestle. After fishing really hard for 30-45 minutes and only getting a couple of bites, we decided to try our luck in the Smoak Bridge area.

As we were unloading the boat there, I noticed a young man loading up a very small canoe and could hardly believe that he had been out on the water fishing from a craft that small in the stiff winds we were having.

My initial inclination was to laugh at him, but as it turned out he had the last laugh on me as when I asked if he had experienced any luck he smiled and said he had. I looked into his cooler and saw that he just about had caught the limit of large slab crappie.

When you consider that a nice fully-rigged crappie boat costs around $10-15,000, it was nice to see a guy whose boat probably cost only a few hundred dollars do so well.

It just goes to show that it doesn’t take a lot of money to get into the sport of fishing and to have a good time in doing so as this young man obviously had just done.

Changing the subject slightly, the time for dad and I to go camping is finally at hand. We’ve been planning this trip for a couple of months are hoping the crappie will be biting good. Even if they aren’t, we’ll still have a lot of fun.

Our destination is Lake West Point where I feel one of the best crappie guides in all of Georgia is available for hire. I met Bobby Wilson about a year or so ago and was immediately impressed with his angling knowledge.

He seems to be able to catch crappie there when nobody else can. If you’re ever fishing in that area and looking for a guide I certainly recommend him.

Locally, I still say anglers can catch the crappie limit from Lake Blackshear if the weather will ever settle down for a few days.

In the mea.
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Haha....that would be me! I talked to Rusty Parker and the guy from GON he was with at the boat ramp as I was leaving. Yeah it was windy out there, but those pilings are narrow enough to throw a rope around and tie off to. I didn't think he would write about me! Ya never know I guess. Its funny....after fishing out of that canoe for about 10 years now, I feel like I can catch fish anywhere in it. When the time comes it will be tough to buy a boat to replace it. Even though I'm sure I will still do 50% of my fishing in the canoe. Thanks for the article papasage!