Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What kind of heads for tubes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What kind of heads for tubes?

I was just curious to see what kind of heads you all use for a crappie tube jig. I have always used the kind you have to insert up into the tube and run the eye out through the plastic. Ive tried ball heads a few times but it seems hard to keep a hollow tube snug against the head. What am i doing wrong?Opinons?

Post Thanks / Like

Default insert heads

I used them once and the insert hole cause the tube to tear and then i har trouble getting the head in the next bait, I think i was using 1/8 head. That was the last time I used them. I bought some teezur heads and was very happy with them, other than some look like a ball head hit with a hammer.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Post Thanks / Like

use a ball head with a barb and you can SUPER GLUE them on for even longer use.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Carpy ....

Quote Originally Posted by CarpPoop
    I was just curious to see what kind of heads you all use for a crappie tube jig. I have always used the kind you have to insert up into the tube and run the eye out through the plastic. Ive tried ball heads a few times but it seems hard to keep a hollow tube snug against the head. What am i doing wrong?Opinons?
    You ain't doin nothin wrong :p ... that's just the nature of a hollow tube. They have to be soft so that the "legs" will flutter, but that makes them easy to pull down on the hook shank or split them open. I used to do the "super glue" trick, and it works OK. It's just that, once you super glue the tube to the jighead, it owns it so you'd have to cut off and tie on another jighead, if/when you wanted to change tubes/colors. I went to a solid body tube, made by CrappiePro, and don't have that problem any longer. I'm using the same jigheads as I used for the hollow tubes ... ball head, single retainer barb.

Bluegill used to be aggravating about doing that ... pulling the tube down on the hook shank. And when I super glued them to the jighead, the Bluegill would just yank off a "leg" anyway ... until I no longer had any legs on my tube. But, since switching to a solid body tube, I've actually caught some of those rascals.

... cp

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use round ball unpainted heads. The 1/8 oz leadheads have to be clean of sharp edges. I put on a little fish oil (scented oil) to lube the head and push it into my 2'' Umbrella tubes. The fish can't pull them off , but to replace one it has to be cut off the line and then retied. That is'nt a bad idea as weak places can be worn on the first few inches above the jig. I learned using light line to cut off a couple of feet each time I retie to help stop breakoffs.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up jig heads

I use teezur jig heads. They have a double barb and no need to super glue they stay on good. you can order them at www.teezurtackle.com

Post Thanks / Like

On the rare occasion that I am going to use a tube jig, I just go ahead and use a 1/16 oz ballhead. I put the tube on after the jig has been tied to the line by inserting the hook about an 1/8 of an inch form the tip and then sliding the point all the way through the hollow body and out the bottom. When the lead portion of the jig gets to the tube, I just wet it down with some spit and slowly work it over the ballhead trying to ensure it stretches more than it tears. The ball head will fit right in the nose of the tube if you guess right on the hook insertion.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a weedless head. It is easy to rig, does a GREAT job, and everything is hidden except the line tie, the weed guard, and THE BUSINESS END OF THINGS...lol. It has put MANY MANY SLABS in the livewell. CRAZY TASTY!!!!!:D

Post Thanks / Like

I use a roundhead or a minnow head with a barb and push the tube on.I tried those inside jigheads and didn't have much luck,I was ripping them most of the time when putting them on the jighead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrouseFly
    I use a weedless head. It is easy to rig, does a GREAT job, and everything is hidden except the line tie, the weed guard, and THE BUSINESS END OF THINGS...lol. It has put MANY MANY SLABS in the livewell. CRAZY TASTY!!!!!:D
    TRUST ME FOLKS this is the only jig head to fish a tube jig ...