Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling Motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motor

My old foot control trolling motor, 30 yr old Motor Guide III has about had it. Factory Rep told me last year that parts were no longer avail. I am also worn out from having to hold my foot on the pedal while trolling. Floor of my boat raises up in front and that makes the pedal even higher. I've been thinking about a hand control model. Specifically a Transom Mount motor mounted on the front. Have two Minn Kota's -- Endura 40 and a 35 that I could mount up front. Anyone tried this ? Any trouble raising up and down ?Do you have to turn the head around - running in reverse seems noisy ? Trying to get out of having to shell out big bucks for a new one. JimA

Post Thanks / Like

Cane pole did this for his trolling motor. He has designed a control box that he can twist knobs by hand and make the trolling motor go where he wants. Maybe he can give you the design so that you too can make a hand operated trolling motor.

Quote Originally Posted by JimA
    My old foot control trolling motor, 30 yr old Motor Guide III has about had it. Factory Rep told me last year that parts were no longer avail. I am also worn out from having to hold my foot on the pedal while trolling. Floor of my boat raises up in front and that makes the pedal even higher. I've been thinking about a hand control model. Specifically a Transom Mount motor mounted on the front. Have two Minn Kota's -- Endura 40 and a 35 that I could mount up front. Anyone tried this ? Any trouble raising up and down ?Do you have to turn the head around - running in reverse seems noisy ? Trying to get out of having to shell out big bucks for a new one. JimA
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default JimA...

If memory serves, it's a easy job to reverse the tm head on a Minnkota so that the control handle is pointing toward you. Most of us in the southern states use a troll motor on the front of the boat, and I've turned many of them around. Look for screws where the shaft enters the head, remove them and turn it around, screw it down.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling Motor

Thanks, checked and looks like both motors have a set-screw that allows head to be turned around. Looks like the front of boat may be too far from the seat, but probably can figure out some kind of side mount. Will have to check this out real close this week. A couple of hours of holding my foot up in the air on the foot-control and I can barely walk - going to have to do something. Thanks, Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Extension ....

Thanks, checked and looks like both motors have a set-screw that allows head to be turned around. Looks like the front of boat may be too far from the seat, but probably can figure out some kind of side mount. Will have to check this out real close this week. A couple of hours of holding my foot up in the air on the foot-control and I can barely walk - going to have to do something. Thanks, Jim
    ..you can buy or better yet, make extension handles....If the speed control is rotary handle type..problem solved completely....If speed control on head of motor then you could still lean and adjust...or rig up hard-wired hand remote..
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........