Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hummingbird 997

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hummingbird 997

I am sure that this question has probably been asked many times before i joined but I am contemplating purchasing a 997---Has it helped your fishing???that is the main question---is the 797 (smaller screen is only difference i have found) just as good?---are they easy to operate??--would you buy another one??---if all answers to above questions are yes: do you have any extra money you would loan me?????????:D --thanks for any input--it is a lot of money to spend but the side imaging seems to be the most logical choice for a crappie fisherman-- i am currently using a x-135 and use it with great success----just can't help wondering--Thanks again-Knappy
    Last edited by Knappy; 01-20-2008 at 12:36 PM. Reason: forgot icon
    Get the net!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the bryson is coming out.

Post Thanks / Like

My 797 works like a charm it is easy to use, it takes some getting used to. I would not have a boat without one. I love the 1197, but don`t have enough space for it! The bigger the screen you can afford the better, it makes it easier to under stand what you see. The 997 has a stronger frequency and a HD screen.

Post Thanks / Like

my 997 is cool. it aint gonna help you catch more fish but it will help you find more fish.
    FISH-ON!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Theres a few more differences beyond the screen size but thats one big difference. First is the two card slots which is big if you want to run a map card and be able to do screen captures or recordings with out taking the map card out all the time. The other is the 997 and 1197 have 450khz and 800khz. For guys fishing crappies, the 800 khz is suppose to have better detail looking inside brush and stuff.
    Did it help fishing? Couldn't tell you, I use mine for hunting things on the bottom or mapping, but you might say I did find fish with it.

http://www.accuemap.com/pages/AquaVu_Videos.html

Check out inside looking up and out once. I love my Humminbird.

WarrenMN
    I fish, therefore I am

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenMN
    Theres a few more differences beyond the screen size but thats one big difference. First is the two card slots which is big if you want to run a map card and be able to do screen captures or recordings with out taking the map card out all the time. The other is the 997 and 1197 have 450khz and 800khz. For guys fishing crappies, the 800 khz is suppose to have better detail looking inside brush and stuff.
    Did it help fishing? Couldn't tell you, I use mine for hunting things on the bottom or mapping, but you might say I did find fish with it.

http://www.accuemap.com/pages/AquaVu_Videos.html

Check out inside looking up and out once. I love my Humminbird.

WarrenMN
    Prob right about the higher frequencies. Body sonar (ultra sound) approaches 5 Megahertz for "parts" imaging. Same principle.

Sure would like to see you rig.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 997. I have seen screen shots from the 797. Either will do the job. I have not used my 800 freq much, so I can't report on that. The 455 does so much, so well. The UniMap that is in the basic units (not NVB maps) is fine for me. The side imaging will show you all the structure. And that is the key to finding the fish. Make 'um bite? Up to the fish gods. It has sure put me on fish. Driving by bridge pillings and being able to see which ones have fish and which ones don't. And which ones have the most and where they are holding on the structure. It is awesome.

I would have no reservations about buying the 797. It will do the job. If I had to choose between having a 797 for spring or waiting a year for a 997, I would order the 797 tomorrow.

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 797 I love it I will let you find stuff the fish like,then all you got to do is catch them. when it's real slow I use it to locate structure. just mozy arround,lookin markin and stop to fish the new spot's.. there great.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 987sci for sale if interested pm me i will be upgrading to a bigger screen.

Post Thanks / Like

I take it you mean how I did the boat. Boat isn't any thing to look at. Its a 18ft 1960 Lund runabout I took the windshield off and made into a tiller. The front deck stores a couple dry trunks and stuff under it. Try and attach an image of the cabinet I made to hold the electronics. The top hood is a microfiche reader I cut off using one of those cutting wheels you put on a drill. I sat it down on the ground and found a box the right height to leave only what I wanted and pulled it around the reader while I marked the box level on it with a felt tip pen.
    I cut and mounted a piece of Plexiglas with a piano hinge over the opening in the cabinet where I keep the laptop and any thing I want to keep out of the weather, although I usually have it held up with that green bungee cord for circulation.
    The whole thing is mounted on a seat swivel to the floor of the boat so it can turn 360 degrees and swivels up with two big door hinges so I can tilt it up to viewing preference.
    The boats covered up and like I say, uglier than a mud fence in slime green paint. Every time I have a little paint left over from other projects I test a spot on the boat to see how well it holds up. Doc called it my hippie boat this fall.
    WarrenMN
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I fish, therefore I am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast