Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Oil Injector

Post Thanks / Like

Default Automatic Oil Injector

Got A 1999 Johnson With One Of These Things And Its Leaking And Making A Mess. Is It A Big Deal To Take One Off? I Don't Mind Mixing My Fuel. Have Done It For Years. I Think I Trust Mixing More Anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

The best I remember it was not any trouble on my Bass Tracker but the low oil buzzer was going off all the time had to disconnect.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a site you can go to,http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin//YaBB.pl,& ask the question,Most of the time you will get info on how to do it in just a few min's. Hope it helps....

Post Thanks / Like

i just got a pontoon boat (in 2005) with a 40 hp johnson (1988 model) i took it to a dealer to have him check it over and replace the water pump. It did not need anything done to it, however , we got to talking about the difference between a mercury ( which I have owned for 19 years on a Skeeter) and a Johnson. His advice was to disconnect the oiler and go back to mixing the oil and fuel. He said that most of the problem he sees are from the oiler not working properly. So I had him disconnect it and 18 mos. later I have no complaints.

Post Thanks / Like

A good site for engine info is bassboatcentral.com.

I learned alot on that site researching Evinrude Etecs before buying our new boat last year.

They have a forum room for Evinrude/Johnson motors and many of the posters are qualified and even master technicians. They can answer your questions and are very forthcoming and helpful.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=51

Just remember these are the green carp fishermen so be patient with them.

George
    George Clarke

Post Thanks / Like

Best place i`ve found is the iboats.com forum ... those guys are sharp and the database is huge.... I work on motors alot (compared to the average fisherman) always been a gearhead....
    :D MichaelT. In the Zone

Post Thanks / Like

in 2004 i purchased a 1986 lazer with a 150hp evinrude. i had the motor rebuilt by a trusted boad mech. and he told me when the oil pump goes bad you can't tell until it is to late and your motor blows. he recomended the same thing as tank55 was saying. unplug the thing and mix your own that way you know it's getting plenty of oil
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Vro Pump

VRO PUMP-VERY RARELY OPERATES! ON MANY OF THE JOHNSON MOTORS, YOU CAN REPLACE THE VRO PUMP WITH A STANDARD FUEL PUMP. SOME OF THE VRO PUMPS CAME WITH A CAP. REMOVE THE OIL LINE AND REPLACE WITH THE CAP OVER THE OIL INTAKE. IF YOU USE THE EXISTING VRO PUMP FOR FUEL ONLY, YOU WILL NEED TO DISCONNECT THE LOW OIL PRESSURE WARNING HORN.

MONK http://MONKSCRAPPIE.COM

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1991 Johson 150 and was just having this conversation yesterday about my oil pump. I'm not the original owner of this boat, so I'm not sure if it's ever been replaced or not. Brother in-law replaced his oil pump last year after noticing a lot of blue smoke from his engine. He went ahead and had the pump replaced to the tune of about $600.00. Will your warning alarm not alert you that the pump is going bad? I'm concerned with the fact that you may not know whether the pump needs replacing or not. Is there any better way to tell? Obviously if mine is 17years old then I'd say replacing it would not be a bad idea, but hate to spend the money if mine is okay.

Post Thanks / Like

The warning horn only tells you when the oil in the tank is low. There is also a warning horn that tells you when your motor is overheating, but when it's overheating due to a lack of oil, it's too late.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast