Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Creel Limits - Yes this will tick some people off -

Post Thanks / Like

Default Creel Limits - Yes this will tick some people off -

Someone please explain to me why some folks think it's perfectly fine to go out fishing, bring in a limit, then go back out the same day and bring in another limit or even more? Do these people have huge families to feed and no other source of meat? I mean, seriously, just how much crappie can a person eat? Do you really think it's fair to those of us who actually observe and obey the regulations set forth by our state's wildlife and fisheries departments? Which, by the way, they didn't just pull a number out of thin air because it sounded good! If you think it's okay to do this with crappie, do you do the same with deer, ducks, and other game?

It infuriates me to hear many of the local fisherman in my area talk about catching and keeping multiple limits per day and reading about it on this site as well. Do you have any concern whatsoever about there being fish to catch in the years to come? Do you care that today's children (possibly your own) will have the opportunity to enjoy the sport as well in the future? Because I'm pretty certain this is a widespread problem and we're gonna feel the effects of it sooner or later.

We all want to share the news with others when we can say "I caught a limit in 2 hours" or be able to hit the water every weekend and haul em in (haven't done that myself), and I'm proud for anybody who can go out and catch a limit any time, but I'm not impressed by nor do I have any respect for anybody who boasts of bringing in more than their legal share.

I happen to be one of those folks who fishes for pure enjoyment and relaxation. I don't hit the water with the expectation of bringing in a limit and my ego can take it if I only catch a few or even get skunked

So, that's it. I'm off my soapbox. If you want to make a counterpoint, feel free. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Just try to keep it clean.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

personally i never take over my limit around here it is not a problem i dont know too many fisherman who can go out and catch 2 or three limits a day.I also have no problem with fishermen taking their limit every day that is what we are allowed when we buy licenese . with gas prices the way they are now it has cut my fishing trips back.
    Last edited by speck chaser; 01-19-2008 at 03:32 PM.
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well Spoken

I totally agree with you. Go out, have fun, catch what you can use and turn the rest back for another day. I am not the worlds best crappie fisherman but I have caught upwards of 50 would be keepers and take 8 or 9 home. We do not have a size limit but my own is 10" or larger. People who take a limit and go out the same day for another are breaking the law. There are some who do not care but most of the people on here obey the rules and regulations. Shame on those who do not.
    Go Navy

Post Thanks / Like

Can we say MEATHOGS! Much the same as Gill nets, my other pet peeve! As much as I hate to say it, my Father in Law refuses to throw back undersized or slot limit fish. He says there is no sport in it. I gave up on him, but I am still married to his daughter for 38 years. She is as much a conservationist as there is. Eat what you catch, but leave some for others.

Post Thanks / Like

I 100% agree with you Mrs. I enjoy fishing, and would love to bring home a limit just one time, but you can bet your dip net that once I hit that limit I'll either start culling (legal here), quit fishing, or practice catch and release the rest of the day.

I don't understand it either. I wonder what the person that does that would say about a person fishing without a license? Same difference... breaking the law.
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not gonna lie to you...I've never caught 30 keepers in one day let alone 60...What is legal here in tennessee? Can you have twice the legal creel limit?Say, one in the cooler in the truck and one limit in the boat..? I thought I had read that in the rules...I could be wrong though..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speck chaser
    Around here it is not a problem i dont know too many fisherman who can go out and catch 2 or three limits a day.I also have no problem with fishermen
    taking their limit every day that is what we are allowed when we buy licenese with gas prices the way they are now it has cut my fishing trips back.
    I think it may be what Mrs Crappiestalker is talking about, When you said you don't know too many fisherman who can catch 2 or three limits a day,WHY Not? Do you think it just may have something to do in the past with People keeping 2 or 3 limits aday?I'll agree with her,Yesterday I went & caught my limit, I wanted to keep some to eat so I brought home 27-(Which is more than I thought I had)But I do know some around here that it is a number game with, They want to see how many they can catch,Then turn around & try to find someone to give them to. About a month ago I seen a pile of nice ones in a ditch someone had threw out,
    I'm also in agreement with speck chaser you & we all have the rights to take the limit each day, But not to go home leave the limit then go back that day & do it again,Anyway you look at it THAT'S POACHING, High gas price or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fessum
    I'm not gonna lie to you...I've never caught 30 keepers in one day let alone 60...What is legal here in tennessee? Can you have twice the legal creel limit?Say, one in the cooler in the truck and one limit in the boat..? I thought I had read that in the rules...I could be wrong though..

2007 TWRA Guide says 15 Crappie, minimum 10". Posession limit is twice the creel limit.

The only way that I see it is legal to keep more than the creel would be to fish across a two day period.... example.. you start fishing at 8PM, and fish until 4AM. That covers two days, so you SHOULD be able to have 30 fish in your posession on one trip.
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Crappie Stalker
    Someone please explain to me why some folks think it's perfectly fine to go out fishing, bring in a limit, then go back out the same day and bring in another limit or even more?
    Because they don't get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Crappie Stalker
    Do you have any concern whatsoever about there being fish to catch in the years to come?
    With crappie? No.

I keep only what I'll eat in two or three meals. With crappie, I usually limit myself to keeping ten. Of course, I'll keep catching them until I'm ready to leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fessum

Here in west TN - limit is 30 per person per day. In east TN and some of middle, it's 15. Possession limit is 2 days limit per person. The possession limit is what I think throws a lot of people. Possession includes what's in your freezer, your fridge, etc. They have the right to check your freezer, fridge, etc., but I've only heard of it happening a very few times. BUT, think about it, there's quite a few folks that fish Reelfoot and KY lake that stay at the campgrounds for long periods of time and bring freezers with them - which they have right out in the open at their campsite. I would guess that if the authorities have been tipped off, or have any reason to suspect someone, they would certainly check.

Don't worry Fessum, I've only caught my limit one time, but boy, was it a BLAST!!
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast