Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My 1st time tying

Jiggin_Joe is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My 1st time tying

Hello
    I finally got my suplies in the mail today so tonight I sat down and tied my 1st 6 jigs. I gatta admit I sat and stared at the vise awhile before I got up enough guts to give it a shot lol. Well I think I did'nt do to bad for my 1st time If this works there should be a pic of the 6 I did they are 1/64 the top left is rabbit hair and 1st one I did but you will be able to tell that lol

Please rip me all you want thats how I learn I don't hold hard feelings ever.
    any help you can give will only make my new hobbie more enjoyable.

Thanks Joe
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jokerpoker/logo.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Jiggen_Joe, Very nice for starting out. Best looking one to me is top left.
    The others, especially the black might be heavy on the material. (common) This could be the picture though.
    Every one will catch fish.
    Good advise is for new tyers to set a coffee can at the tying area.When a jig doesn't come out just right, toss it in the can so the others will all look good. When you go fishing----Take the can. lol Mike

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jiggin Joe.....

Did you have fun? Will they catch fish? I tell you, if you can answer "Yes" to those first two questions then nothing else will matter. I believe for your first efforts, those will catch fish, and I can tell by your post that you had fun and aren't willing to give up your new hobby just yet.

I will share two secrets with you.

1. Once you learn to tie a great Marabou jig or a great Chenille jig, you are set for Crappie fishing. Those two jigs will get you about 70% of the crappie. You will pick up a lot on a Road Runner with a tube and the rest on a minnow and a hook.

2. When tying, remember the principle "Less is more" You do not want so much material that it interferes with the basic action and pulsating of the marabou. By using less material, you will still get the "Profile of a minnow" but it will have more action and your wraps will be that much neater if you are using collarless jigs.

Overall, good job though.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I decided a long time ago, if you're going to fish with the stuff you tie, make good quality, but don't worry about them being "show" quality stuff. You'll get upset when you lose them and have a tendency to shy away from throwing into cover, therefore catching less fish. As long as the fish eat 'em, that's all that matters.
    Hey...jerk...your bobber's under!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggin_Joe
    Hello
    I finally got my suplies in the mail today so tonight I sat down and tied my 1st 6 jigs. I gatta admit I sat and stared at the vise awhile before I got up enough guts to give it a shot lol. Well I think I did'nt do to bad for my 1st time If this works there should be a pic of the 6 I did they are 1/64 the top left is rabbit hair and 1st one I did but you will be able to tell that lol

Please rip me all you want thats how I learn I don't hold hard feelings ever.
    any help you can give will only make my new hobbie more enjoyable.

Thanks Joe
    If the pic was a little larger I could see them better with these old eyes, but from what I can tell you should catch fish with them. Really can't see them well enough to say a lot about what you could improve. If you size your pics with the large pixel side at 640 your pics will be easier to see close up.

Looks like a good job for a starter!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Jiggin_Joe is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your advice it will really help. Today I will try and make some more using less material and see how that goes

Joe
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jokerpoker/logo.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, I dont know if they'll catch fish in MN.....you better send them to me here in Ms and I'll test em for ya .LoL! I hope my first ones come out that good.

Post Thanks / Like

They look better than the first ones that I tied...
    I'm still trying to get it right, but hey thats what makes it so much fun.
    I have caught fish on some of my jigs that I thought were flops, so don't give up. Keep going buddy, ya lookin good so far!
    James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: (KJV)

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sticksteer
    I hope my first ones come out that good.

I am sure that yours are just fine! You do good work and are a man of your word. That will serve you well in the jig tying business.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.