Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tie a line on a cane pole

yarrmatey Guest

Default How to tie a line on a cane pole

I just purchased a 13ft (reeless) shakespeare wonderpole and after spending an entire afternoon I still haven't found out how to tie the line.

the line keeper is made of 2 metal clips spaced 6" apart at the handle of the pole. I read that im not supposed to tie the line directly to the single guide at the end of the pole. I'm not sure if I have it right but I tied several feet of line on the line keeper FIRST then pulled it through the end guide.

Thanks for the help!

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you got it right. Good Luck

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have several poles similar and the line keeper has a small hole in the keeper nearest the tip. I double wrap and tie off there then extend the pole, run the line through tip, pull enough line back down to butt of pole and cut. Ready to fish. Used to just tie off with several wraps through eye and around pole but after ripping a couple of eyes loose puilling free of hangups then having it fall off with a fish I changes my ways.:D
    Gone Fishing

yarrmatey Guest

thx for the help! do you also tape or wrap the line around the pole as you extend it toward the tip?

i got those tiny holes too but i got one on each of the keepers...wish they had instructions for these...since the pole is very well thought out (at least for the parts i can figure out)

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I tie a pole like that I run the line thru the eye on the tip then tie the line to the pole just below the tip. That way you don't have all that exta line getting hung up on everything. I've had a few eyes come loose but never lost one.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

yarrmatey Guest

IBN, i considered tying close to the tip because i was worried that i might catch it in some branch while walking along the bank. But tying the line at the line keeper allows me to use it like a reel. the line keeper is 6" long and allows me to feel for the depth that i'm fishing.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know about the line keeper but back when I fished reel-less poles I'd run the line thru the eye and wrap it back down the entire length of the pole and then wray a couple places above where you'd hold the pole during fishing with black electrical tape to secure the line. I'd then wrap the fishing line down the length of the pole and hook the fishing hook into a "keeper" (piece of bent wire taped to the pole) to keep the line tight while transporting. If you ever hung up and broke off some line you could use what was wrapped around the pole without having to re-line the entire pole during your fishing trip. Later on I got a little smarter and added a few eyes and attached ZEbco 11's (?) spincast reels to my poles. Makes life ALOT simplier.
    Last edited by gabowman; 01-18-2008 at 12:10 AM.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

i used to run the line through the end eye, wrap the line around the pole a few wraps and tie it off about 18 in or so below the tip then wrap a few wraps of electric tape around the knot back toward the tip. dont tie it down so far the end section wont collapse into the next joint after you tape it.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yarrmatey
    I read that im not supposed to tie the line directly to the single guide at the end of the pole. I'm not sure if I have it right but I tied several feet of line on the line keeper FIRST then pulled it through the end guide.
    I tie a small (1") loop of fly line backing to the tip guide. I then attach my rig to the backing. I keep all my rigs on winders and just ignore the line keeper on the pole.

yarrmatey Guest

deathb4disco, whats a fly line backing? also which reels would u recommend and how to u attach it if there's no reel seat? academy by here sells 2 crappie reels for under $10.

rango, ive read that some people tie the line at the tip first too and then when they collapse the pole they wind the line on the keeper. but how to you change the length of the line for depth adjustment? lets say you're fishing on a tight line hmm maybe dropshot style. Ive read a few sites where they said just to wrap it around the pole, but i was hesitant about that as it would create horrible memory

Thanks for tips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast