Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 horse johnson To buy or not to buy ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default 25 horse johnson To buy or not to buy ???

Found a tiller for my Jon boat (use it for snagging and duck hunting mostly) The guy wants $500 for it. It is a 1981 seahorse he has not started it for two years what do you guys think should I buy it?

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure it runs-probably need a new impeller and lube change,compression check and carb clean up.
    Fair price I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Before it is started remove the spark plug and shoot some WD 40 in the spark plug hole, put the spark plug back in and see if it will start. A motor that has set that long has lost lubrication and this method will allow a small amount of lube during the start up process. Lube is a very good thing and no lube is a very bad thing. My Grandfather always bought motors at garage sales and then would get them running other the winter when he could not fish and this was something he always did to proctect a motor that had set for any lenght of time. I still have one of the motors he went through and it is in like new condition although it is 30 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

I have looked at water pump, Carb, and fuel pump kits with shipping around $70 and I can do the work myself. Just nervous I guess:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

I think that early 80s OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) motors were good ones. The whole question is maintenance. Ask him when it was serviced last and how often before that. You may be able to find out the name of a mechanic that knows the motor, who hopefully isn't related to the seller. If he'll let you, I'd let it set overnight, start it the next day and run it. Better yet, if you have a mechanic you use, have him look it over.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

I know of a 6 horse McCullough outboard motor for sale for $120.00.
    Runs great. Electric start.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Not big enough, I have a 6hp evinrude 1979, with the kids and I it won't plane the boat. A 10hp evinrude 1958 that needs a couple hundred put in it. Just looking for something a little faster. Don't know if you have ever been caught in a storm, but it sure is nice if you have the power to get back to the dock fast.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to say thats a fair price if she holds good compression.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I had one where the clutch dog was worn. Ran great but under load would pop out of gear. Something to check......
    -Arnie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DHanis_Dude
    I had one where the clutch dog was worn. Ran great but under load would pop out of gear. Something to check......
    Those Johnsons are good for the popping outta gear thing... I had that problem yrs ago on 2 different ones.
    look at the prop (beat up)
    pull the motor cover ...look for excessive wrench marks / taped wires/leaks
    and look up under the flywheel and make sure the coils wrapped on the stator ring arent oozing (mean the ignition is shot or close)
    work linkage and spin the prop with your foot.
    If it passes this visual inspection then offer him 70$ less bcuz your gonna have to drop that much into it minimum.
    :D MichaelT. In the Zone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast