Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting out new Crappie structure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Putting out new Crappie structure

Hey you crappie experts,

I live in Michigan and fish a few inland lakes for crappies when I'm not chasing walleye. This one particular lake that I know pretty well and fish has some pretty decent crappie in it but not much structure. I've collected about 40 x-mas trees and I am going to sink them in water from 10 to 35 feet. It's legal where I'm at and I'm going to mark where they are at with my GPS. Any suggestions on the best method on setting them out? Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like

5 gallon buckets filled with concrete should work.

Louie
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper if I use some nylon rope and cinder blocks tied to them. I have plenty of both. I was also thinking about tying a block to the middle of several trees so the structure would have more nooks, crannies, and hiding spots in it for the bait fish and crappies. What ya think?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great idea. It will give the fries somewhere to hide too. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd use a couple of blocks for a couple of trees. I've thrown in tons of X-mas trees in the pond and you will need more than 1 block if you want to sink a couple of trees together.

Post Thanks / Like

Since it legal Id use wire insted of nylon rope(wont snag as easily) couple three block on each tree and put them out on the ice.When it thaws in the spring, they'll go through when the ice gets soft.

Post Thanks / Like

make sure you have plenty of blocks if you sink trees make sure they are not cedar we never had luck with them they silt over to quick on our lake, soon its just a hump in the lake bottom, unless you burn it most don't go to the
    trouble. I sink cane in 5 gal buckets. easy and it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you from Harley? I've sank cedar here for years & catch alot of fish off of them.

Post Thanks / Like

If you tie the blocks to the butt end and tie a milk jug to the top they'll stand up and make a lot better cover. Otherwise if they are pine and still have needles on them they'll lay on the bottom, mat down with silt and not provide much cover. The biggest problem with christmas trees is they rot out too fast, at least around here. If you had some Giant Cane you could make 10 times as much cover for the same time and effort and it would last a lot longer. It's a whole lot easier to fish around too. Here's how we do it - http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/habitat.htm.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Alot of good ideas. If you already got the trees and the blocks I'd do as Jerry said....tie off at the bottom and float up the tree tops in 12-18' of water. Years ago we used to sink cedars in a lake with not much cover and did quite well off them fishing from a distance casting jigs under floats to them. Those trees were just anchored flat on the bottom but they were only in 6' or so of water. Those were great during the spawn but we needed a few in deeper water too. Since there wasnt much cover in this lake they did good. We'd put 'em out during the Christmas holidays and catch fish on 'em in March/April. BTW, use wire instead of rope. They'll stay there longer.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast