Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Day Off

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Day Off

Darryl and I were both off today so we decided that with a cold front coming we should do a little scouting to see if we could catch a fish or two. They were in a typical pre-front feeding mode and willing to thump a jig pretty well. Of course we're always in competition for the biggest and most fish but it all balanced out pretty well today - I let him pretty much keep up with me on numbers (not counting the white bass I caught) :

And he let me catch the first, the last and the two biggest - both close to 16-inches and weighing 2-pounds even and 2-pounds, 3-ounces:

The bigger one was a male and I think it's the heaviest male white crappie I've ever seen that wasn't longer than 16-inches. They seem to just keep getting fatter and fatter. Also, it had a tinge of dark spawning colors so I know what's on their minds even though it's another 2-months away.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Great catch....What a day off!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch Jerry. How deep were ya'll catch them?

Post Thanks / Like

You guys need a third. I have someone in mind. That is one fine mess of fish. The guy holding them looks a bit suspect though. I'd keep an eye on him if I were you. :D
    Good things come to those who bait.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Them are some hawgs Jerry. Looks like you guys know where the big ones are at....maybe your own personal stock?!?:D I'm assuming the white crappie get much bigger faster than the blacks? I wished we had white crappie here on my local lake. Great catch guys. Looks like fun!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Where does a fishing guide go on his day off???

FISHIN

Nice catch
    Louie
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a Photo Shop picture to me! Especially those in the first picture with that shady looking guy. Nice fish wish I could have made it.

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch guys! Those are some monster slabs!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishnLine
    Nice catch Jerry. How deep were ya'll catch them?
    They were 20 to 24-feet deep in 24 to 30-feet of water. We caught all but one on jigs - 1/16th-ounce orange/silver/chartreuse and chartreuse/silver/chartreuse Shinee Hinee Hair jigs, some tipped with Rosey Red or Shiners.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    Them are some hawgs Jerry. Looks like you guys know where the big ones are at....maybe your own personal stock?!?:D I'm assuming the white crappie get much bigger faster than the blacks? I wished we had white crappie here on my local lake. Great catch guys. Looks like fun!
    Thanks gabowman:

We fished the same area yesterday and only caught one but they were showing up on the graph so I was hoping they were just being stubborn and would be in a better mood today and they were.

Usually our black crappie are heavier than our white crappie for the same length but the whites right now seem to be a lot more interested in bulking up. I've seen a lot of white crappie that were 16 to 16.5-inches and only weighed a pound to a pound and a half. It's normal for both whites and blacks to bulk up real good before the spawn but the whites are really getting serious this year. They both are in a lot better overall shape than we usually see them too - hardly any split fins or tails like we usually see.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast