Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: dyed shinners (minnows)

Post Thanks / Like

Default dyed shinners (minnows)

I heard that you can dye your minners using food colloring and it doesn't hurt them . Just simply add a few drops to the water the night before and they will change to whatever color you used , I don't know for sure if this would work but if it does it might be worth a try . Have anyone of you ever heard of this trick ?
    JEFFRO

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFRO
    I heard that you can dye your minners using food colloring and it doesn't hurt them . Just simply add a few drops to the water the night before and they will change to whatever color you used , I don't know for sure if this would work but if it does it might be worth a try . Have anyone of you ever heard of this trick ?
    Yeah, I heard of it ,tried it and it didn't work for me. Maybe I just didn't do it right?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

whiplash Guest

Default minnows

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Yeah, I heard of it ,tried it and it didn't work for me. Maybe I just didn't do it right?
    tried that --did,nt work---found someplace on internet to buy dye for minnows ended up wih red hands,red carpet, red hand wiping rags and red minnows---- did,nt catch any more fish than my wife did using straight minnows ----the people that use rosy red say they sometimes help ---if i could buy them I wouuld try it...

Post Thanks / Like

We often times get a mix of reds in with the minnows we buy, and when we do there can be a fight over the last one in the bucket. They just seem to work better at shallow fish. To answer your question about how to do it yourself try this link to the patent issued for coloring them.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...1&u=/netahtml/
    search-bool.html&r=3&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1='bait+dye '&OS=%22bait+dye%22&RS=%22bait+dye%22

Patents are not easy reading but if you stick with it you will find its mostly salt and an edible dye. The entire proccess is explained. Patent searchs can be very helpful when trying to figure out how something is done and they are free.

Cheers..

Post Thanks / Like

I saw an ad in a recent issue of a crappie magazine for spectra minnow. I called the number in the ad and found out it is a Canadian company. I was told they were going to market through Cabela's and perhaps BPS. It is a paint stick in red, blue, orange and green. The company told me it was to be marketed through Cabela's. Protein - based, environmently friendly and non toxic for game fish, bait fish and fishermen. I have not bought the product.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...results1.jhtml

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow Dye

I ordered and tried "Baitstick". It works to turn your minnows a chosen color. Dip a minnow in it and wait 10 seconds or so and it will remain red. The company needs some type of container to prevent messes and spillage. It worked on my minnows and my boat carpet.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Tried it also...

Had some minnows in for couple days, all it really did was tint fins some, I had water dark red w/food dye...think it did help keep minnows calm...dark water calming effect...didn't harm them that's for sure :D ...not sure if helped catch or not didn't leave any untreated to compare too.. :o
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dyed Shinners

If you take your minnows and add the skin of a red onion overnight they will turn a light gold color from the pigment in the onion skins.