Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you use underwater camera's?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many of you use underwater camera's?

I am kinda kicking the ideal around about buying one, not sure what brand or model would be best for the money and not too hard to figure out. I am thinking something for around 200 dollars. I have been looking at the Aqua vu. Does it come with the viewer screen, or do you have to buy that seperately?
    What have you use and what do you think about it? More or less, which one would you recomend? Thanks
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I did a bunch of research last year and was real close to buying one, but in the end, I figured that I'd rather have some good rod holders for the money, rather than the camera.....I blame Sinkum for that one!

The viewer screen does come with it, and I was looking at the Aqua Vu model that had the crank handle to wind up the cord. They say that they work best in moderately clear water. The look like a lot of fun, though!
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Aqua Vu. I do like using it, but it's a pain sometimes to unroll the wire, mine does not have a reel or any kind of winder. I'm thinking of rigging something up for it.

You need fairly clear water. Also, you don't just drop down and start seeing fish, at least most of the time. You have to patiently watch the screen.

It is fun.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the AguaVu MAV unit last summer. Thats what I recorded these videos with. http://www.accuemap.com/pages/AquaVu_Videos.html I did these late fall. Clarity of the water is a big issue. I use the rule of thumb not to expect seeing much more than about 1.5 times as far with the camera as I can see the tip of my pole in the water.
    Doc's lent me his spool AquaVu this winter and I've been working to setting it up with my Humminbird 997 so I can use the two of them together. I finally have every thing about how I want so I'll be going out to record more soon to post on the site I you want to see how well that one works. It's a color unit so it may not have the light sensitivity of the MAV unit.
    The MAV isn't cheap, but oh so nice.
    WarrenMN
    I fish, therefore I am

Post Thanks / Like

I bought 1 and the lakes I fish are not clear enough to see much. I have seen some fish but its not much help.
    Last edited by caveman; 01-15-2008 at 09:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Scout XL. If I was a ice fisherman I'd use mine a lot more.

One thing I don't like about if using a boat if your boats not stable. Every movement will show on the screen and it's hard to stay on something. My boat is an aluminum deep V and really bounces around.

Water clarity cannot be over stated. Up here it's fairly clear and theres not too much of a problem as long as the winds not blowing too hard. Using one in the south may have more of an impact on viewing.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I figured more people had them. I know how much all the electronics attract people. Thanks again.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Wen fishing bridges, docks, and stump structure..... I use mine all the time. If they are not there: you will not catch them. I was out yesterday and a few old-timers were on the bridge, that are always there catching fish (crappies). They were'nt having much luck, so I went to the truck and got my camera. We saw 3 fish where they were and only one was a crappie. Changing color of his jig, and he eventually cought it.

I honestly think they eliminate alot of water, and tell the whole story, as long as the water clarity permits it. I always have mine with me. Saves alot of wasted time.

If it comes out; here is a video clip I took a week or so ago of a musky. The water was pretty stained, but you can see him pretty well. he was close to 20 pounds.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...ellowslake.flv

Post Thanks / Like

I been looking at some on ebay that has a light on them and was wondering if that was good or not.They have one on there with the light and color that you hook up to your laptop.Think if normally sells for 50 bucks.Then I got my laptop so I can hook it to and with my gps hook up I might be able to really zoom into my beds and see what is holding.Plus fifty bucks aint alot just a tank of gas in the boat.
    http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/luckyshorses/?start=0[/url]
    Hook em and bring em in the boat.
    Boys look at them bouncing juggs lets get them in the boat.
    3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake SGT of Arms.

Stray Cat Guest

This is my first post on this forum. I would like to let you know that we love the Aqua-Vu.

We bought it to look at the structure in our slip. It paid off fast. I could see the fish holding on the the cedar condos more that the PVC. We were also asked to look at a friends slip and found his wifes fishing pole she lost last year. We were able to hook it and bring it up. We have found in slips watches, cell phones, fish baskets and lots more.

We have found so many uses for it.
    When we stay at a hotel, we sit it in the window to watch our vehicle.
    Inspected foundations for a friend.
    Looked at sail boat hulls for other slip renters.

If you are inspecting deep brush piles you must go really slow. On Lake Ray Roberts after 10 feet visibility is only 2 feet at best...

We will be buying the DVR that goes with it soon. I think they are on backorder still.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast