Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing muddy water

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing muddy water

Anyone got any suggestions for fishing muddy water...we had 3 inches of rain last week, but had some nice days to get out...couldnt see your jig more than a foot in the water...anyone have any suggestions or tricks?

Post Thanks / Like

Use dark color jigs. They will see dark colors better with the exception of Hot pink, Blaze orange, or bubblegum. Also If the sun shines bright, they may move higher in the water column to take advantage of the faster warming muddy, surface water. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    Likes Wiskers LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I like the brightest colors I can find in my jig box. I like firetiger colors (chartreuse, glo green, orange), chartreuse/yellow head, chartreuse body, red tail or red crawdad are always strong in muddy water conditions. Yes, if fish are not hitting the bright colors; more often than not dark colors such as black, black/blue, black/red, red, purple work well too!!!!

IF YOU'RE FISHIN ON CREDIT, YOU'D BETTER SWITCH TO DEBIT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Muddy water will definitely mess them up if they are used to clear water. The first thing I would do is try to find the clearest water available where you have cover. They may be real tight or deep down in the cover. A major change in water clarity usually comes with a major change in water level and sometimes water temperature. Any one of those conditions can cause the fish to scatter, move up or down in the water column and shut down the bite for a few days.

My go-to jigs for muddy water are orange/black/chartreuse or orange/gold glitter/green/black (Slater's Cajun Special). Rosey Red minnows seem to produce better in muddy water than shiners but I would try either or both.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what's already been said, slow down, go shallower than you do normally, and use something that moves water (vibration)--minnow, beaver tail (vertical jigging), etc. The water you describe is the usual state of affairs where I come from. I consider one foot of visability to be relatively clear!

Post Thanks / Like

....I just switch to catfish

Post Thanks / Like

South facing shorelines, 4 foot or less deep, but preferably close to relatively deep water. Fish near wooden structure.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had some luck with a blackhead, purple roadrunner in a muddy pond.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...008000_100-8-1

Try #27
    Last edited by turkeyfootnc; 01-15-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add to what has been said, When they are used to clearer water then they rely more on sight and use cover as reference points to the area. When the water gets muddy, They can't use their sight as well and will hang tight to cover because they won't see the cover if they go very far from it. If they do then they will get lost and will wonder around until they happen up on another piece of cover and then they will relate to that piece of cover until the water clears. Other fish do the same thing so the bait fish get put in a bad situation as they have to relate to the same cover as the bigger fish. Crappie that are used to muddy water will use their lateral line to feel around and detect bait. They will venture farther from the cover because they are use to the conditions. Thats why brighter colors and plastics and spinner type jigs that put off more vibration work better in muddy water.because the jigs work better to the senses of fish in muddy water. Clear water fish rely a lot more on sight, therefor the angler has to utilize more subtle approaches as the fish gets more time to study the bait to decide whether it is food or not. keeping this in mind and looking at varying normal clarity from lake to lake, so does the reliance of vision to the use of lateral lines. Smaller movements more natural colors in clearer water, more vibration and darker or very bright colors in muddy water. Also if your area waters are normally not muddy, then when muddy water conditions occur, fish will be tight to cover so that is what you should target. Hope this helps. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

heck ihumphre here in mississippi we dont consider water to muddy until you see coon tracks on the water!! just slow down use bigger darker baits and fish tighter to the cover.
    I practice catch and release..... in hot grease!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast