Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I've narrowed it down to 2 (I think)

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I've narrowed it down to 2 (I think)

Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure where but I have seen where people have bought the Danvise for like $65 and I think Cabela's is still the same price when I saw that.

However if you are close enough to go see that Griffin I would sure do that to see it. I don't think that vise was out when I bought my Danvise.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    I am not sure where but I have seen where people have bought the Danvise for like $65 and I think Cabela's is still the same price when I saw that.

However if you are close enough to go see that Griffin I would sure do that to see it. I don't think that vise was out when I bought my Danvise.

Skip
    If they have one in stock, what do I need to look for in it? I know you mentioned something about some plastic parts in the danvise. The write up says its made of heat treated steel.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    If they have one in stock, what do I need to look for in it? I know you mentioned something about some plastic parts in the danvise. The write up says its made of heat treated steel.
    You have a PM on the way!
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up one of the Griffin vises today at BPS. While I got a good buy on it (10% off) I'm not very happy with it. It does appear to be well made with no plastics, its compact, and it does grip the hook very well without much effort. The biggest drawback is the handle to rotate it. If they had made a handle similar to Danvise it would be OK. As is, its very awkward to use. Like someone mentioned, the best way to tell is put your hands on it to see if you like it. Well I did, I don't like it, so back it goes and the Danvise is on order.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I picked up one of the Griffin vises today at BPS. While I got a good buy on it (10% off) I'm not very happy with it. It does appear to be well made with no plastics, its compact, and it does grip the hook very well without much effort. The biggest drawback is the handle to rotate it. If they had made a handle similar to Danvise it would be OK. As is, its very awkward to use. Like someone mentioned, the best way to tell is put your hands on it to see if you like it. Well I did, I don't like it, so back it goes and the Danvise is on order.
    Don't get me wrong about the Danvise and it's plastic. I had mine for a year and sold it, but would have probably kept it for a second vise if I had it to do again. I like the Danvise a lot for the money! Plastic and all. However I didn't use the clamp on mine and you may want to come up with a way to clamp on the stem of the vise to hold it for you.

Check it out.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    Don't get me wrong about the Danvise and it's plastic. I had mine for a year and sold it, but would have probably kept it for a second vise if I had it to do again. I like the Danvise a lot for the money! Plastic and all. However I didn't use the clamp on mine and you may want to come up with a way to clamp on the stem of the vise to hold it for you.

Check it out.

Skip
    thanks, I'll try to remember that. I ordered it from Cabels's so it will be a while before I get it.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have the Griffin vice you got at BPS. I'm happy with it, and while the handle is small, you can turn it so you can get to it better. I don't think I'd buy another one for my next vice though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smoothlures
    I think I have the Griffin vice you got at BPS. I'm happy with it, and while the handle is small, you can turn it so you can get to it better. I don't think I'd buy another one for my next vice though.
    If you ever decide to upgrade I would surely check out the Peak I have seen and like. Not see in person though. I do love my Renzetti Salt Water travler with cam Jaw vise, but it's a bit high, however should last a life time. I do plan on adding another at some point and don't know what yet. When I say high though mine is not even close to a really high end vise.

I am also thinking about adding a tube tying vise for tube flies. I am looking at the HMH and Renzetti for that one. They are not as high as a true rotary and have to have a straight jaw assembly.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Who makes the Peak? Griffin?
    I'll probably spend around 150-200 for my next vice. I'll probably go with Renzetti as well.