Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's a small world

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's a small world

My buddy, PossumD and I went to Truman Sunday evening for a little cold weather crappie hunting. We were having a sip off the Old Captain and decided to go by the ramp and see how many boats were on the water. We pulled down to the rigging area to see how they're biting. I see a nice Lund (with kicker) and ask this guy how'r they doing. He comes over and says that he hasn't caught a bunch, but that he did last week with Richard Bowling, the marina manager at Bucksaw. He recognized my Wilton Boat Club (Missouri River) hat and I find out that he is Mr. Gerhardt - THE MAN on the stretch of Missouri River that I fish - invented an anchor that is the ONLY one that will hold in Mo. River current. I figured out that he must be the husband of Crappie Novice, who asked how to fish Bucksaw and I recommended Richard. It's a small world. Well we went out with Richard Bowling today and it was a SLOW BITE - but we managed to clean 31 10-13". PossumD said he would post the pictures. A special welcome to Mr. and Mrs. Crappie Novice (now that I know that you're homeboys) and a special thanks to Richard Bowling - Richard doesn't just go out and catch a bunch of fish - he shows you how to catch 'em. Same to PossumD, without whose invitation, I probably would've spent the day at work. Great trip. Good fishing.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a great story. It just proves that you meet great people crappie fishing. Glad you had a great day. Looking forward to the pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Like JJ said, GREAT STORY! Thanks for sharing!!
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Its always nice to meet someone like that. Sounds like he might have the urge to switch to crappie. I tried to fish the Mo. a couple of times but the wild current played heck with my 16 ft. jon. I used to like to limbline the Gasconade before starting to crappie fish. See ya, Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like ya'll had to work for em Jim but it also sounds like it was worth it....good fishin fellas.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Thats what makes this site so great !!! good good people here
    Supreme Leader of the Missouri Crappie Militia.........

Post Thanks / Like

It IS a small world, indeed! It just makes me nervous that you have him thinking about catfishing again. As I said in another post, those catch and release big blues did not put any food on my table!

His WIFE had the urge to fish for fish that he'd keep not release....I've slowly gotten him to thinking about Walleye and Crappie and we aren't half bad at Mark Twain (on Crappie) and did fair in South Dakota on the "eyes" but Truman kicks us in the tail pretty hard most of the time on Crappie but we just love it down there!!!

Thanks for the welcome! I told him when he went down to Truman that he may run into some of "YOU" and that I knew no names, just Crappie "handles". and I told him what mine was just in case.

You had LOTS of wind for your day with Richard. Bummer. But at least you had fun, caught fish and learned a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

It was COLD! Richard knew some spots out of the wind so it was nice to warm up. We had line/rod icing until about 1 p.m. Oh, by the way, the crappie were down 18-25 feet off channel breaks and we used tube jigs. I bet there will be lots of crappie on your dinner table in the future - and a man needs to go chase those big blues from time to time. There's not many out there that can do better than he does of the Missouri River. I'm kinda hoping that he'll show me a thing or two this summer, when the crappie are just post spawn.

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good fishing guys!

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Speck, just 52 days 'til retirement (God willing). We'll see if we can't get you a few more days on Truman. I should have my thumb pretty well on the pulse of that lake by April.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast