Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Little Guy

EXAGGERATOR Guest

Default The Little Guy

I just wanted to say HI to all. I found this board while at work. I have found it to be very informative. I have only been Crappie fishing about five times in my life and one of the of those times was last year at Lake Wappapello. My brother-in-law and I went, and needless to say, we didn't do much good. We are going again the first week of April. I would like to ask a bunch of questions to you veteran Crappie firshermen but, I don't want to upset anyone. I realize that you all worked hard at getting to the point that all you have to do is just drop your lines and wham you got the big ones. But, I was hoping that I could appeal to your kindness for the less fortunate ones and maybe throw some ideas out to me where on the lake to go. Or what to use for bait or how deep to fish. I would like to come back with a bunch of fish this time. Any help would be more appreciated than you can imagine.
    Thanks and I look forward to reading & chatting with fellow fishermen.
    Take care guys.

Post Thanks / Like

EXAG

You might want to do a search for wappapello. This is my home lake. If it is decent warm weather you should do pretty good then.

longshot

Post Thanks / Like

Longshot,

Looking to maybe head out to Wappapello on Monday. I fished out there on Thurs. and didn't do a thing. I can't figure out these fish on this lake. Did however manage to hang up my boat on a sand bar in the middle of the lake. I'm not set up to spider rig.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mike

EXAGGERATOR Guest

Hey Guys,
    What's fishing? I have noticed that I didn't get much input on my hopes to answers. I was kinda afraid that would happen. I thought I'd tell ya, I went to Bass Pro yesterday and bought me one of those Humminbird Smartcast Fish Finders. I bought an addional sensor to go with it. I bought the new model out this year and it's programable to handle two senors out at a time. I was going to play with it in my bath tub while taking a bath but I was afraid it would scream "Warning objects appear larger than they are and I didn't need to know what I already knew. So, anyway I guess I'll just have to learn the hard way. Thanks anyway.
    Take care,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Why dont you post a little about yourself in your profile, atleast were you are from Give it a chance most guys are out fishin this weekend.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EXAGGERATOR
    Hey Guys,
    What's fishing? I have noticed that I didn't get much input on my hopes to answers. I was kinda afraid that would happen. I thought I'd tell ya, I went to Bass Pro yesterday and bought me one of those Humminbird Smartcast Fish Finders. I bought an addional sensor to go with it. I bought the new model out this year and it's programable to handle two senors out at a time. I was going to play with it in my bath tub while taking a bath but I was afraid it would scream "Warning objects appear larger than they are and I didn't need to know what I already knew. So, anyway I guess I'll just have to learn the hard way. Thanks anyway.
    Take care,
    Jim
    I think if you get a map of the lake it would be a good start. Wappapello is a great lake to crappie fish.

However the lake is at winter pool at this time and as SEMOmike said, you can get into trouble if you don't know where you're going.

No one can tell you where to fish on lake. Of course people who fish it often have their favorite spots. But telling you how to get to them would be close to impossible since they are sometimes on the river channel in the middle of the lake.

You've got that fish finder so you'll be able to tell where they are and what depth to fish.

Stick it over the side and go for it.

It won't be long now until the spawn will be on. You shouldn't have any trouble catching a lot of fish during this period.

Good fishing
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

EXAGGERATOR Guest

Hey,
    Thanks guys! Where do you post in a profile about yourself? I'm 48 yrs old, I'm a Cyclotron Tech, I've been married for 30 years, I fly radio controlled planes,I'm from Missouri (Imperial area). Anything else you want to know? I'm just not good at seeking out those BIG Crappie that everyone else can. The ones I caught that I thought were good, were just babies to the ones I saw another angler cleaning. Boy, talk about dropping your lolipop in the dirt! My brother-in-law and I are going up the first week of April and we'll be staying at Barrett's Marina. I have ordered some maps of the lake off of the internet. Is there any particular lures or baits you guys like to use that makes the big ones jump on your lines?
    Thanks guys and take care, will chat again later,
    Jim

tightliner47 Guest

EX man. I don't know much about the WAPP but if you ever get over around Truman I can help you with a few places.

Post Thanks / Like

Default fish bait

I know a guy who catches big fish on a 2-3" sassy shad, I think thats about all the guy throws................he never catches the most but always catches some big ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if its takes a certian bait, or just a whole lot of luck sometimes. I have been in a boat fishing the same spot, same bait only to bring in the little ones. And other times the roll is reversed. As they sometimes say big bait - big fish. A good start would be 2" skirts any color that has some type of chartuse and 2" curly tails work good too. But its all trial and error, remember what works and throw the rest back in the tackle box. If your just starting out, buy a starter box of skirts from BPS. Those usually have the best color to use.

For adding info to your profile look in the top left for "User CP". Add what info you want to add at least what part of the state. Me being in the middle, Lake Ozark, Truman, and Mark Twain. As Outlaw said, this place might be a little slow around on the weekends with people out fishing. Give us some time someone will chim in on something. Welcome abord also!
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast