Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here"s my latest

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here"s my latest

These are the patterns i have been tying in 1/16 oz .hope the work.The blue chartruse with black worked great last year but it was a twister tail not the marabu i like to tie

Jon
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I would say is you should take the marabou off the quill and then tie it in. Make a little stack tearing it off a little at a time until you get as much as you want then hold it together and tie it in. Also the tail really should not be so squared off and should be a natural taper.

It seems you are tying in the hole feather and then cutting it to the length you want and it will not be necessary if you cut it to length after tearing it off the quill.

They will look better if not squared off.

All of this of course is IMHO!

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    The only thing I would say is you should take the marabou off the quill and then tie it in. Make a little stack tearing it off a little at a time until you get as much as you want then hold it together and tie it in. Also the tail really should not be so squared off and should be a natural taper.

It seems you are tying in the hole feather and then cutting it to the length you want and it will not be necessary if you cut it to length after tearing it off the quill.

They will look better if not squared off.

All of this of course is IMHO!

Skip
    i agree, this is the way I tie marabou, it gives it that " Not store bought " look. The jigs look great, and will catch fish. Just give it a try one time pulling it off and stacking it on there, and see if you like that look. Looks great man! I love blue/chart!!

Post Thanks / Like

how can you tell the marabou was not taken off the quill before it was tied? just wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbarron19
    how can you tell the marabou was not taken off the quill before it was tied? just wondering.
    It would look like this if it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbarron19
    The blocky look of the marabou generally means it's been tied in then cut to size instead of being cut to size then tied in.
    Also it sort of looks like you can see the quill in the picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Just take your fingers and pinch and pull tare out some of the marabou to thin it out ,and make it kind of raggie looking (shorter longer look) this makes
    it look better in the water. more action = more fish

Later BamaMan

BamaMan

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu
    The only thing I would say is you should take the marabou off the quill and then tie it in. Also the tail really should not be so squared off and should be a natural taper.

Skip

I totally agree with Skip's comments. You want the ends to pulsate at differing lenghts to more imitate a bait profile.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips,I have been mixing in some sea fiber with the marabou to make it stnd out a little ,Not sure if this its a good idea or not . When i wrap the feathers i go a good ways down the hook maybe too far ,i am striping it from the quil except for the blue that isnt as good a quality .Also i heard that trimming the ends helps keep the fish from biting short .but it doesnt lookas natural.I appreciat all the help.

Jon

P.S. heres a couple more :the 1 in the middle is sea fibers instead of marabou

Post Thanks / Like

To keep fish from biting short, I only use a tail as long as the hook is. After you cut/pull the marabou from the quill, I hold it by the cut end and use the hook as a guide on how long to make the tail. Put it on the hook making sure your tail is long enough and then tie it in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast