Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat questions from a new member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat questions from a new member

I have been reading this board for a year now and I have finally became a member.Thanks to you guys I had my best year ever crappie fishing.Now for my question what kind of boats do you fish out of? I am thinking about a seaark or a wareagle 20' aluminum boat what are your thoughts.Also does any one fish out of a carolina skiff what are there + & - I will be crappie fishing mostly but for a few days a year I wll be doing some light salt water fishing Thanks for all your help camohull

Post Thanks / Like

20' wareagle will do you great.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Camohull!

I think either would do you well. The wider the better. I think Rango on the SC board has a 20' SeaArk. There are several pictures of around there with it decked out for night fishing. You might check them out.

Not sure about the "light" saltwater fishing. Pete may can give you some good advice in that department.

Good Luck and glad you joined!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

Camoull, Welcome to the site and what took so long to join? I fish out of a
    24' pontoon on area lakes rivers and sound side at Hatteras. Works great for night fishing, camping and when you have extremly large friends that want to fish with you, Crap-King don't take offense. I also have a 16' jonboat that I use when fishing by myself or when fishing narrow (Eno River) and skinny (ponds) water. If I could have only 1 boat to fish from it would be a 20-24 foot pontoon.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Camohull, don't know what area you're from but we are having a get-together this Saurday on High Rock. There will be every kind of boat with differant layouts for you to look at.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Is there anybody out there fishing from a carolina skiff if so how do they stack up with a aluminum boat. What are the negitives & the positives of the two for crappie fishing. Thanks camohull

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum boat should be alot lighter as far as loading/unloading.One thing i notice with most aluminum boats is depending on the type most of the decks sit high,there is an obvious advantage as well as disadvantage to this.Advantage : you can see better than if you were down in the bottom of the boat.Disadvantage is you're up in the wind alot more.I have a 16' dw and a half roughneck,it fishes well for me.I have fished out of the back of some fiberglass boats that fished well also.If i was gonna fish some saltwater i'd go with the fiberglass boat just because if you take care of it ,it will probably last longer.Most aluminum boats can take more punishement from stumps and that sort of thing.Whichever way you go,look at some of the other boats and figure out how you want to fish,tightlining or long line trolling out the back and then buy a boat that will be easy to outfit.Just a few thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by camohull
    Thanks for the info. Is there anybody out there fishing from a carolina skiff if so how do they stack up with a aluminum boat. What are the negitives & the positives of the two for crappie fishing. Thanks camohull

I have an aluminum boat and it is good for going on the lake and if you like fishing in a river, they work good. You can abuse the aluminum some but they don't ride good when the water is rough.

I am going to get a Carolina Skiff in a couple of weeks and I have fished out of a friend's Skiff before. Great boats. They ride great. I have fished on HOT SPOT'S boat a couple of times(a Sea Pro) on Jordan Lake. Those ride good too.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys. Turkeyfootnc what model of skiff are you getting& what type of fishing do you do? Thanks camohull

Post Thanks / Like

1765 DLX.

I fish for crappie when I'm on a lake. At the pond, whatever bites. Highly unlikely but if the right person talked to me just right, I may go out of retirement from the coast but highly unlikely that will happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast