Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Power Painting Jig Heads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions about Power Painting Jig Heads

I bought some unpainted jig heads at a fishing expo yesterday and will be ordering some power paint through Cabelas in a few days. I've never done this before, but spent a lot of time this afternoon researching it on the web. I wanted everyone's opinion on my plan for painting the jigs.

1. Dip the unpainted jig heads in vinegar & let dry to improve adhesion of the paint.

2. Build a couple of small racks to hang the jigs on. One to go in the oven, a second to hang the jigs on to cool after coating.

3. Heat jigs to 300F in toaster oven.

4. "Loosen" powder paint and swipe jigs through the paint, making sure to keep the paint loose between jigs.

5. Allow jigs to cool and clean hook eyes.

6. "Bake" paint onto jigs in toaster oven again for duarability.

I am not going to worry about putting eyes on the jigs at this time, but may take it up a bit later. The jigs that I have now are 1/4 oz that I will be using in Canada on windy days fishing for Walleye.

Any suggestions/reccomendations/etc. will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

3. Heat jigs to 300F in toaster oven. ( or use a pencil torch if just a few)

4. "Loosen" powder paint and swipe jigs through the paint, making sure to keep the paint loose between jigs. (Paint should be loosened before you start the process)

5. Allow jigs to cool and clean hook eyes. (Clean the eyes before the paint hardens)

6. "Bake" paint onto jigs in toaster oven again for duarability.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ship!!

Jeff
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

Post Thanks / Like

shipahoy 41 said it pretty good, but i use a bic ligther on 1/80 to 1/4 oz. jigs for heat, and you Dont need the vineger to clean the heads. Loosen the paint in the bottle by shaking the bottle or stir it with a small stick, pencil works good. For a rack i use a small aluminum bakeing pan from the dollar store with holes poked around the lip to hold the jigs. Pre-heat oven at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. GOOD LUCK

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, and thanks to Skip too! He tried to post a reply, but was having problems, so he sent me a couple of PM's with a lot of good info.

Thanks again everyone,

Jeff
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

Post Thanks / Like

Using unpainted minnow head jigs from Wallyworld...I simply paint mine with a high quality, chip resistant nail polish. Use a styrofoam base to hook the jigs into. Can paint up to 50 or more at a time and the jigs are usually dry in 2-3 hours. Are waterproof, chip resistant, and have caught many fish using these jigs and the color lasts and lasts.

IF YOU'RE FISHIN ON CREDIT, YOU'D BETTER SWITCH TO DEBIT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Before I became big time and purchased a fluid bed,(ha) we took a toothpick and swished it through the powder between 6 to 10 jigs (toothpick fits in can when lid is on) and make sure your jigs are around 350 and make a quick circle and or back and forth motion in powder and pull out (try both). Most should come out without paint in the eyes. Watch temp. and speed of getting the jigs out of the paint fast enough.
    These guys probably answered you, I am tired of reading.

TT
    Last edited by Timmy Tom; 01-15-2008 at 12:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Buckeye is right about the vinegar. It is not absolutely necessary, but it does allow for better adhesion. The vinegar actually etches the lead and gives the paint something to "cling" to. The paint will stay on the heads a lot longer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterJeff
    Thanks Mike, and thanks to Skip too! He tried to post a reply, but was having problems, so he sent me a couple of PM's with a lot of good info.

Thanks again everyone,

Jeff
    You are welcome and sorry I couldn't post he here yesterday for some reason.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

In the past I used the vinegar but now with the powder paint and heating with a torch, I don't see any advantage. My paint is just as good without it. I think the heat from the torch solves the problem. For baking the powder paint I use a small bread pan from Walmart. I cut metal bars 1/8, 1/4 etc. (the ones with groves up and down) to the length of the pan and then JB Weld them in place. I hang about 30-36 jigs at a time depending on jig size. The pan fits perfectly in my microwave. Works well for me. Pop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast