Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't find 'em

Post Thanks / Like

Default can't find 'em

Need some help finding crappie. For instance today I was at Oologah lake looking for brushpiles on the sonar. I had a map but It was hard to tell were the piles were. In about 20 ft. I would look. Once I thought I found one after three or more passes with the big motor on I'd throw out a marker and fish that spot with no luck. That was how the whole day went and thats how it goes every time maybe I spooked em off. thanks for any help -D

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the boards dadgummit. It probably aint a good idea buzzing the brushpiles 3 or 4 times before you fish 'em though. If that dont run 'em off it will definitely give 'em lockjaw.Maybe using a depthfinder on front of the boat with a trolling motor? Maybe a GPS? (I even had a buddy years ago that found the brush piles using nothing but a splitshot on a rod and reel to locate the exact spots his brush was at. Again, welcome to crappie.com.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

gps has changed where we put piles, in old days we used docks and lined up with them on river channel. If you cruise river ledge look over for docks you'll be surprised how many brush piles you'll find.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dadgummit
    Need some help finding crappie. For instance today I was at Oologah lake looking for brushpiles on the sonar. I had a map but It was hard to tell were the piles were. In about 20 ft. I would look. Once I thought I found one after three or more passes with the big motor on I'd throw out a marker and fish that spot with no luck. That was how the whole day went and thats how it goes every time maybe I spooked em off. thanks for any help -D
    That about how it went with us saturday,we fish about all day in 20 ft or deeper tops and only caught 3 keepers,but a friend call that night and he caught a limt,and he was fishing tops in 6 to 10ft,seen like the fish are still shallow,I know we are going to try fishing some shallow tops the next time:D .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I'll keep trying. Is there a surefire way to find a couple right away so I know they are there?

Post Thanks / Like

Stealth is sometimes the ticket easing up to the spot fishing it before you get all over it tighter. Either way, it sounds like you are finding spots to fish. Using a gps to remember your spots for you will help the next time you fish it. Before you know it you'll have a full portfolio of spots that will increase your catch rate and fill your creel.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Darryl is right, a GPS is very valuable now.

A note from my seminar.
    Golfers practice, football players practice, in fact almost everyone practices and hire instructors to get better at something.

Except very few fishermen actually practice. Go to the lake and give up catching and try to learn something for the future. Put a fairly heavy jig, 1/8 or 1/4 oz, on, cut the hook off and use it to check out the brush when you do find it. Practice using your graph at different settings, find a bunch of brushpiles for the future and be sure you can find them later, take notes.

I guarantee you that if you get in 15' of water and follow the protected shoreline you will find some brush piles. Some lakes they may be deeper if they fluxuate a lot in depth. Spend just one day this way and you will increase you chances of catching fish greatly.

And hire a good guide, two guys splitting a guide fee is not too bad and tell the guide you are primarily interested in an instructional trip.

Not many will take this advise but it will work.
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I'm biased but I have to agree with Mr. Paty - hiring a guide is a good shortcut to learning how and where to catch crappie especially if it's on the lake you'll be fishing but even if it's not the techniques and tactics you'll learn will likely be useful on your home lake. Be sure to ask your guide before you commit to hiring him/her if it's OK to mark a few brushpiles and come back later on your own and fish them. Hopefully the guide will have enough places to fish that he won't mind sharing. But even if he/she doesn't you'll be able to find or make your own brushpiles in similar areas.

Last Saturday morning a man that I took fishing a couple years ago on Lake Greeson (also happens to be a member here) called me about 9:00 to let me know that he had caught 13 slabs off of one condo that I had showed him. He told me how deep he was catching them and the bait he was using. Later in the day I fished the same area and my crew caught several nice crappie so sharing my conods with a client actually helps me out sometimes.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dadgummit
    Thanks guys I'll keep trying. Is there a surefire way to find a couple right away so I know they are there?
    Yep: make your own :D & don't try to find someone else brush piles. That way you can mark them when you sink them.Works for me.:p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ERNEST PATY
    A note from my seminar.
    Golfers practice, football players practice, in fact almost everyone practices and hire instructors to get better at something.

Except very few fishermen actually practice. Go to the lake and give up catching and try to learn something for the future. Put a fairly heavy jig, 1/8 or 1/4 oz, on, cut the hook off and use it to check out the brush when you do find it. Practice using your graph at different settings, find a bunch of brushpiles for the future and be sure you can find them later, take notes.

Great bit of advice! Thanks.
    Fish on!:D

3 Bald Stooges of Percy Priest Lake - Co Founder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast