Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Making jigs need help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Making jigs need help

I am trying to make some jigs and was woundering if I was doing it right. Is this how yours turn out and if so how do you sooth the head of the jig of? Any info. will help. Thanks

can't catch'em at home

Post Thanks / Like

It will probably help if you post this on the jig tying board as I am sure all the pour their own jig heads will see it there.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there is a thread in the jig tying formum about this but I can't find it. I'm certainly no expert but it looks like to me you have 2 problems. After you put the hooks in the mold check it to be sure the mold closes all the way. One hook just slight off will keep it from closing and you won't get a good cast. When pouring put more lead in so there is lead across the top so when you take them out they are all hooked together. This gives you something to hold on to. I then use a pair of needle nose to remove the jigs by twisting them off. This gives you a smoother head where it was connected. At least that works for me.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Keep your mold tight together and fill up the holes all the way. Then take some pliars and twist the spurs off. I think that's easier and gives you a better looking end that if you cut it off.
    It looks like you're getting a good pour though, keep practicing and remember you can recycle jigs that don't turn out right by using pliers and holding the hook and swirling the lead part of the jig in the molten lead then pulling it back out.
    Don't forget the instructions that came with the mold, read through them and they'll have lots of tips.

Post Thanks / Like

www.tackleunderground.com will give you all the answers. With more pratice you will get better at it. I use dikes and cut them off.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure your mold is warmed up enough before you start molding jigs.I usually pour a few without hooks to heat the mold.Hope this helps.
    HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you had a cold mold. Set the mold on top of your hot pot that you

use to melt the lead in, to help put heat in the mold. also pour a full set of

jigs without hooks 1 or 2 times (this will add heat to the mold and let you

see if you are getting a full jig head with the proper pour speed.) then add

the hooks (mold is real hot now so don't get burned putting in the hooks)

and pour the jigs again pour it fast or the lead will cool and not fill all the jig

head. you will have to use wire cutters to cut off the extra lead at the top

of the jig.

Later BamaMan

BamaMan