Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home-made spider rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default home-made spider rig

being a poor college student i was curious if anyone among the crappie.com family has made their own spider rig. I would be interested to hear any of your ideas. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigsbydirk
    being a poor college student i was curious if anyone among the crappie.com family has made their own spider rig. I would be interested to hear any of your ideas. thanks
    Well here is a technique that started it all - PULLING.

Before I had a bass boat, I had the 14 foot john boat with a 9hp that we pretty much all started off with I guess. I had a Minn Kota and battery that I bought at WalMart, a humminbird depth finder for 99 bucks and 6 metal clamp on rod holders from a local bait shop at about 3 bucks apiece.

I would raise the gas motor so as to have no rudder, screw that trolling motor on the side in the middle of the boat behind my seat so that it would pull the boat sideways down the lake. I had one rod holder shooting off the front and one shooting the other way off the back and 4 along the rail spread out straight in front of me. I used regular spinning rods, baitcasting rods or whatever crap I had lying around, tied on two or three tube jigs a couple of feet apart and tipped them with minnows.

Stagger the depth of your baits between 6 feet and 18 feet and start pulling them around the lake and see what happens!!! Growing up fishing Tunica Cutoff in MS, I knew where the mats and stumps were, but because of water fluctuations I couldn't always find them, so I would just use that depth finder and make a pass staying in 20 feet of water, then 18 feet , then 16 , etc. until I caught a fish. Then repeat, repeat and repeat.

I swear I can still catch more fish doing that than I can with all this money burning stuff I have now.

Bainbridge, Ga (Flint River, Lake Seminole, Lake Talquin)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigsbydirk
    Do you have access to a small wire welder? IF so I'll post you some pictures and a material list.

Post Thanks / Like

May be worth checking out the local walmart and see what rod holders they have in the boating section. Sometimes they have some cheap ones. BPS has the tite-loc's for $80 for a quad holder

Cummins_4x4 Guest

Bee Ready systems here in Texas have a good reputation and are inexpensive.
    http://www.edswebshop.com/beeready.htm

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Or don't spend anything and make your own.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default homemade rod holders

a buddy and I have these on our boats. We have both boats set up exactly the same way. Not real cheap, but more than half the price of driftmaster.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

here is what they look like of the boat. WE buy the cheap $4 rod holders from Walmart. I like each holder to have 3, but have enough holes drilled for 6 on each bar. I also like having 2 support rods instead of one. More holes in the boat, but definately more support.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a fairly cheap/easy idea to copy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...142005093&rd=1

Dayton

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I do...

Quote Originally Posted by Hac
    Do you have access to a small wire welder? IF so I'll post you some pictures and a material list.
    would like to have you post details, please..Thanks in advance..
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast