Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GPS Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default GPS Questions

I’ve been researching GPS units and have pretty well narrowed it down to a Garmin, which results in narrowing it down to only twenty or thirty models. Therein begins the trouble!
    I cannot afford to be overly extravagant, but I would like the basic necessities! The problem is, if I buy “this” model, it will do “this and this”. But for only $40 more, “this” model will also do “this and that”. And for a mere $30 more, “this” model will do “this and that”, too!
    Where is the “happy medium”? This is getting to be so overwhelming and confusing, I don’t know whether to scratch my watch, or wind my butt! Help!!
    Basically, here’s what I need - - -
    Naturally, I want to be able to get back to where I started from when I’m out in the yak!
    I would like to be able to mark way points and to enter coordinates taken from a map. (For fishing purposes)
    Knowing my present/top/average speed would be a nice thing to know, but not a necessity! At my age, (and physical shape) I’m not going to set any records!
    It will seldom, if ever, be used on the roads. Do I need one with a map program?
    Accuracy and proximity are very important! What features should I look for that provide the nearest proximity? I will just as often be using it to mark the location of tombstones. (For my genealogy research)
    Are the color displays really that beneficial, or might they be considered a “novelty”?
    I better shut up for now!
    Deral

Post Thanks / Like

Garmins are great products, sounds like you just need one that has WAAS. More accurate and read speed down to the tenth mph. Maps arent important for me to have on a GPS unit but it is nice.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

I have the garmin E-trex and I does just fine I can mark my brush piles,or a good fishing spot.or the ramp where I put in.... easy to use simple to transfer data if you want and easy on batteries.... good luck

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

garmin etex they also have a electronic compass that means you don't have to be moving for them to show direction.Love mine
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Garmin 72 and it does all those things you mentioned. I paid $152 for it at Walmart. I put in batteries in that I can recharge. I have been very pleased with it.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Darel:

A Garmin Map76 will do everything you need and it floats in case you have a mishap in your yak!

I've purchases several of them (for myself and others) from www.JandHproducts.com.

GPS with data cable - http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/loc/...6%26so%3D0%26s

You may want a Power Cord - http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/Garm...0_10085_00.htm

And possibly a Marine Mount - http://www.jandhproducts.com/_e/Garm...0_10300_00.htm

PCNation also has good prices on the GPS units they carry. I just ordered a Map76Cx from them for under $300 with free shipping so I'll soon know whether a color screen is a major benefit are just a novelty. Since I went with a color screen depthfinder it would be real hard to go back to a grayscale screen.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you decide on the map76 here's where I bought mine. It's the cheapest price I could find for a new unit and the communication and shipment was quick.

http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/searchI...&GO.x=9&GO.y=9
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    If you decide on the map76 here's where I bought mine. It's the cheapest price I could find for a new unit and the communication and shipment was quick.

http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/searchI...&GO.x=9&GO.y=9
    Wow, those are good prices! Some of their stuff says "refurbished" - wonder if all of it is. I could have saved about 50 bux on a Map76Cx.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Love my E-Trex, easy to use, small and i use digital batteries
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

You said you have narrowed it down to Garmin,Good choice.
    I'm a pilot,& know that Garmin is the leader in GPS & Radar equipment in the Aviation field. The plane I fly most of the time has a Garmin GPS in it,(Up there is not a place to get lost:D )I'm pleased with their products. Mark,,,,,,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast