Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Line Counters

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Counters

How many use line counters for fishing deeper waters? If not how do you get to the same depths each time?
    You can't finish what you don't start

Post Thanks / Like

I use a magic marker to mark the line the first time I put out a rod, then if I catch one I can go back to the mark on the line. I use the old pull 2' off rule. Pull bout 2 ft nad the pull another 2' till I get around the desired depth. If I dont catch anything at this depth I rub the mark off the line and try a foot deeper or shallower. Just the way this old redneck does it without the use of counters.

Post Thanks / Like

i like to keep the tie on bobber stoppers on all my reels just for that purpose just slide up and down
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

For vertical jigging I use 11' poles and measure off the pole to make a mark with a permanent marker at 20-feet. Then simply gauge how far the mark is out of the water or down in the water. It works real well down to 30-feet but when we get much over 30-feet we'll make a second mark at 30-feet - measuring off the pole again from the 20-foot mark.

For slip-float fishing I use 10-foot poles and measure off the pole to set my bobber stop. When we get much over 20-feet deep I'll make a mark at 10-feet and measure from it to set the stopper between 20 and 30-feet. When we get over 30-feet I make a mark at 20-feet.

It may sound complicated but once you get used to it, it only takes a few seconds to accurately mark your line and a lot of the time if we're not fishing within 6-inches of the depth they want it, they'll play "hard-to-catch".
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of marking your line, I mark my rod. Take a ruler from where the line is on the reel up your rod. Measure the 1' mark, then do it again so you have 1' and 2' marked. Electric tape works well for this. Now hang the rod over the water with the jig near the top eye, guess about how high over the water it is and add that to the depth you want, then pull off by 2 feet each time and count it up on the way down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smoothlures
    Instead of marking your line, I mark my rod. Take a ruler from where the line is on the reel up your rod. Measure the 1' mark, then do it again so you have 1' and 2' marked. Electric tape works well for this. Now hang the rod over the water with the jig near the top eye, guess about how high over the water it is and add that to the depth you want, then pull off by 2 feet each time and count it up on the way down.
    Hey smoothlures:

That reminds me of the time I had a guy fishing with me that used a similar system for "measuring" his depth but instead of a mark on his pole he had measured how far it was from his nose to his thumb and forefinger when his arm was straight out to the side. He would then hold his reel up to his nose and pull the line out from the reel until his arm was straight out to the side for as many repetitions as it took to get down to the desired depth.

Apparently his measurements were off somewhere though because he always ended up several feet too deep so he stayed hung up in the brush all the time. Plus each time he reeled up and then pulled line off the spool by slipping the drag he put more twist in his line.

I offered several times to mark his line so he would know exactly how deep his jig was but he was content with his method. I guess he didn't notice that while he was measuring his line, trying to get un-hung and putting on new jigs his wife was catching fish. She had just "come along for the ride" and "didn't really care much about fishing" but she caught all the fish.

I think if you'll try marking your line you'll appreciate being able to spend more time fishing at the depth the fish are biting and less time measuring your line every time you drop your jig down. You'll also have a lot less trouble with line-twist (if you're using a spinning reel).

Here's the markers I use - http://www.andersons-online.com/Prod...k__25_164.html. Black shows up really well on bright green line.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by painterfish
    i like to keep the tie on bobber stoppers on all my reels just for that purpose just slide up and down
    Great idea, that will be sop from here on out
    Stinkies Daddy