Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigs is Jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs is Jigs?

What is your favorite TYPE of jig for 1.) Dippin' in brush, and 2.) working under a float. ( I don't Spider rig or tight-line - at least not right now.) By TYPE I mean, hair, marabou, feather, tubes, panfish assassin, etc.....

Tell me your favorite for these two presentations and why, please.
    Last edited by Calico Kid; 01-11-2008 at 12:39 PM.
    "You ain't holdin' your mouth right! Did ya spit on your hook?"
    Grandpa

Post Thanks / Like

I make all kinds of hair and feather jigs, but personally I use feathers, both hackle tail and marabou about 98% of the time. All that changes for me is the weight and I start out in the spring with mostly 1/32 and 1/16 until about May or June when I start fishing brush and then I go to 1/8 and 1/4.

I do at times in the spring if it's a bit windy use a heavier jig (1/8 & 1/4)trolling when not long line trolling. If I am long line trolling in 6' or water or less I use a 1/32 and if it's 6' or a little more I use a 1/16.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the tubes more than the other type of jig for any presentation,they catch fish and are cheaper.I do sometimes use maribous and Assassins and they will also get it done,but the tube is my go to jig.

Post Thanks / Like

Southern pro tube jigs.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

1) Dipping in brush = 1.5 inch tube
    You will lose a few jigs this way and I'd rather lose a tube than my hair jig. A hair or Marabou jig is one I have a great deal of confidence in and therefore is my "Go to" bait.

2) Working under a float = Marabou Jig
    I like the pulsating action and it drives fish wild.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my hand tied jigs with sickle hooks in what ever weights and colors I want most of the time, but I'm not too proud to use plastics if I have a color I want to try.
    For chenille body jigs, I like
    (head color/body color/tail color)

hot pink/silver or white/hot pink
    green chartreuse/black/black
    red/silver or white/red
    white pearl/white/white
    orange/coffee brown/yellow
    white/light blue/white
    yellow chartreuse/olive/hot orange

Then there's the all yellow and green chartreuse jigs of course. The list can keep growing with your imagination, but those are a few of the ones I usually have in my box.

Post Thanks / Like

30yrs ago it was always twister tails. Now it's 2" tubes 1/32 to 1/4oz.
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

Jigs is jigs? Not ALL jigs are equal!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a hair guy ,yet fur can be super deadly in tough situations.
    My sizes range from 100th's when we have 3 feet of ice and next to nothing for oxygen in the water with super high barometer levels to 32nds when the bite is hot.

most often I'll use 80th's or 64ths.Right after ice out they are deadly when the minnow guys and everything for that matter are having a tough time getting any.

Once May hits I'll leave those pannies alone and head out for walleyes,pike & bass.Come fall I'll go back to the 64ths when they are putting on the feed bag .

During the winter I'll verticle fish,during open water I'll use a bobber.
    All jigs are not equal.hand tied usually have more quality built into them.
    I guarentee mine for at least 100fish from falling apart.
    I know that I have had jigs that caught over 1000 slabs and bulls.
    Last edited by crappiekeith; 01-12-2008 at 10:24 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation C-kid ....

Quote Originally Posted by Calico Kid
    What is your favorite TYPE of jig for 1.) Dippin' in brush, and 2.) working under a float. ( I don't Spider rig or tight-line - at least not right now.) By TYPE I mean, hair, marabou, feather, tubes, panfish assassin, etc.....
    Tell me your favorite for these two presentations and why, please.
    I don't "dip" :D I cast, most of the time. But, for use around brush ... I mostly use a 1/32 or 1/16oz weedless jighead and solid body tube. If I'm shooting a dock, I'm likely to replace the body with a Panfish Assassin (but, not always). I don't use corks/floats/bobbers all that much ... but, when I do, I usually have a marabou jig tied on.
    I use plastics for casting and shooting docks, because I can change color combinations - get a slow fall rate - get more distance - they skip better across the surface of the water (when "shooting") - and present a bigger profile. I use weedless jigheads because I'm probing deep into the cover, and can get my jig in and out more often (than an open hook jig) ... and the weedguards do not cause me to miss or lose fish.
    I use marabou jigs, under a float (or Vertical Casting), because of the action of the marabou ... with the slightest of movement.

I use weedless jigheads made by P&S Custom Tackle, almost exclusively. My favorite solid body tubes come from Crappie Pro. I'm liking solid body tubes more, these days, over hollow tubes, because they stay on the hook shank better/longer. Panfish Assassins are my current favorite for shooting docks.

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast