Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lets talk ice rods and reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lets talk ice rods and reels

We all have different opinions on what makes a good ice rod and reel.
    Let's talk about what we like and dislike.
    Of coarse there are different styles of fishing that will
    dictate what gear we use on the ice.

For me....since I like to work the water column with light /small baits a good light action rod with a fast tip works well.
    I'll also mount a spring bobber on the end to read the hit.
    The reason for a stiff blank is so that the rod does not shake so much and that I can get a quick hookset.
    Having a fast tip also helps in that endeaver,yet giving me a nice bend in my rod to enjoy the ensueing battle with the fish(pannies).
    I do have a few medium action rods for heavier fish like walleyes and pike less a spring.When they bang my bait you most definitly feel and see the hit.
    I'm not a big fan of the noddle rods which shake too much and when setting the hook I'll have to reach way up high to load up the rod blank.

As to reels I've found once you get over a 40$ price level you'll most likely be getting a product that has
    several ball bearings ....8 or more giving you a smooth reel and a positive back stop.Second ...I find the bail springs are way more stiffer which helps in that flip flip flip of the line peeling off due to the spring lifting.
    Yes you should make sure the line is in the roller guide ,but I've had reels that lost me fish due to a poor hook setting ability due to the spring opening.
    Lastly the drag....it should break loose smoothly and as it rotates it still should be a constant smooth release.
    You'll notice that in most cheaper reels that the drag is all or nothing .There's no in between setting and they bind up.Smooth then stiff as it plays out.
    A general indicator is when you go to buy a reel in the store,turn the spool backwards. If you hear a click-click-click-click it most likely is a good drag set up.
    Having 1 click adjustments also is a good sign of a better drag.
    The only real way to know it to have one spooled up with line and pull the line to see if the drag release smoothly at all times instead of undulating tensions as you pull the line.

I see in the stores 20-30 dolloar combo rigs.
    My advice is to stay away from these "deals"
    The rods may be adequate ,but the reels are most likely very low quality.
    Go to the store now and those rack of combos are almost all sold.
    Ergo this post.My son just bought a combo and withing 2 hours he was having issues.

What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Keith i agree 100% and thats with any rod and reel,