Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cast netting for bait

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cast netting for bait

How many people use cast netting or some other method for catching your bait.

If not why not?
    If you have arrived here by accident, I suggest panic!

Post Thanks / Like

i use one all the time

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Ahhhh Yes ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rat
    How many people use cast netting or some other method for catching your bait.

If not why not?
    Cast nets !! Love 'em !! Got two of them ... 1/4" mesh & 3/8" mesh.
    The 3/8" mesh I use for >3" Shad .... the 1/4" mesh for <3" Shad. They're both 6ft diameter spread, kinda small ... but, managable from a boat.

I don't use live bait often, but when it's readily available and the jig bite is slow, it's often been the case where the cast net has saved the day.

But, a cast net won't get you Brook Silversides minnows ....
    A long handled wire mesh dip net is the ticket for catching Silversides. Hang a light (black/white/green) over the side of the boat, ease along the bank at night, and dip them up as they follow the light. Brook Silversides are el primo Crappie bait .... and, they're el primo bait for most any species that eats smaller fish

... cp

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanx, CP. You never fail to educate me. I've tried several times to use a cast net, can't catch anything but myself. I own one now, but still can't throw it. maybe one day as I'm learning all the time.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

When I was younger I used to use a cast net to catch mullet. I would sell them to make money.

I was recently given a small bait cast net but I have not taken it out of the box. I guess I feel funny about using one in fresh water.

Come to think of it, I have never used one from above the water. We would wade in waist to chest deep water to throw one. I doubt I could do it now!

Post Thanks / Like

Growing up I always would catch bait with them. Mostly shad for catfish. Be careful though, in SC you're not allowed to take gamefish with them. So if you catch that perfect size bream you want to use, you'd have to throw it back.
    For minnows, I like using a seine. Never have caught minnows in a cast net looking back on it. The mesh is too big, I guess.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Skeet ... (you too, jem270)

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum
    Thanx, CP. You never fail to educate me. I've tried several times to use a cast net, can't catch anything but myself. I own one now, but still can't throw it. maybe one day as I'm learning all the time.
    Check out this thread, and my explanation on how I throw a cast net, and see if it helps you any:

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...t=cast+frisbee

And, "jem270" ... if your cast net has 3/8" mesh, you're going to have a problem catching bait small enough to use for Crappie. Well, that is unless you need 3-4" long baitfish, or larger, for your bait

... luck2ya .. cp

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Rat, I watched this on Youtube a couple of times and it had me throwing a net like a Pro. Check it out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lOUkj2h2LjI
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Yeah, "Bowman" ...

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman
    Rat, I watched this on Youtube a couple of times and it had me throwing a net like a Pro. Check it out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lOUkj2h2LjI
    I've seen that video before, too. That's good stuff, if you're throwing a large/long net and would probably be a better method than mine, if you're using a net with a radius of over 4 feet.

My nets aren't that big (radius of only 3') ... and I'd probably rip a tooth out, if I tried using that method :p

... cp