Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mounting a transducer

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting a transducer

I have a Stratos boat with a step down transom. I have a tranducer with a paddle wheel speed sensor + temp. I have thought about just epoxying it inside like the other transducers from previous depthfinders that are on it. Will this work with this type transducer? I know I wont have speed or temp.

Another option I thought about was epoxying a small plastic plate to the outside of the transom and screwing the transducer to it. Then I get speed and temp but I am pretty confident the transducer will get knocked off back there so I don't want to drill and screw it directly to the transom. Shoot the way I looked at it I can see it getting knocked off by the trailer bunks. So inside would probably be the best answer. I just don't want to shell out the money for a different xducer so I want to know if I can mount mine inside.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any place but the step!

It will work inside but do not mount in on the step. The step on my charger, when I am up on plane is out of the water. When they put the flasher in they mounted on the step it didnt work but has been moved to the bottom of the boat. On other choice for mounting on the outside try this from cabelas. The guys over on walleyecentral sure seam to like them alot. Aslo make sure your existing transducers are not running on the same freq. in the back of the boat. The cones will overlap each other and cause problems.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...276&hasJS=true
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

I know not to mount it up on the step. Appreciate the notice though. The other xducers inside are from the depthfinder on it now and the one that was on it before that. I'm only going to be using 1 with a trans ducer at that location. The other one I use is on the trolling motor. I just ain't sure how to break the epoxy holding them in to get them out so I'm just gonna leave them. Plus if I should have the new unit fail and it had to be sent back for repair or something like that I can put the old one back in in about 5 minutes. I saw the mounting panel and had the idea I would just buy a cheap poly plastic cutting board at walmart and cut it to the size I want. But I'm not sure about putting it on the outside.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow on my stratos....

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlefarter
    I have a Stratos boat with a step down transom. I have a tranducer with a paddle wheel speed sensor + temp. I have thought about just epoxying it inside like the other transducers from previous depthfinders that are on it. Will this work with this type transducer? I know I wont have speed or temp.

Another option I thought about was epoxying a small plastic plate to the outside of the transom and screwing the transducer to it. Then I get speed and temp but I am pretty confident the transducer will get knocked off back there so I don't want to drill and screw it directly to the transom. Shoot the way I looked at it I can see it getting knocked off by the trailer bunks. So inside would probably be the best answer. I just don't want to shell out the money for a different xducer so I want to know if I can mount mine inside.
    ..got a '85 365 Stratos, when I bought it had transducer and paddle wheel speed sensor mounted already..standing behind boat..transducer mounted where chine starts on left side bottom of hull right next to freshwater livewell pick-up...paddlewheel mounted same spot on right side of boat...they are just slightly above flush with bottom...no problem with bunks or anything else knocking off..I fish lot of submerged trees that hangs up boat on occasion. ..also running WOT good clean images on FF...40+ MPH..good luck with your install...hope this helps :D
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard to place a board next to the transducer and give the board a wack with a hammer and it will pop loose.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion