Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic barrel Structures

Post Thanks / Like

Default Plastic barrel Structures

I made these in early December. I don't know if they will hold crappie. I'm pretty sure they will work for bass or catfish. In a month, once the algae covers them, they should pretty much look like a big stump. I dropped them in 8' of water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman
    I made these in early December. I don't know if they will hold crappie. I'm pretty sure they will work for bass or catfish. In a month, once the algae covers them, they should pretty much look like a big stump. I dropped them in 8' of water.

I thought about doing that. I get some every once in a while. How much weight do you think it will take to sink and hold one of those barrels? Let me know how they work out, putting them out and catching fish off of some. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a winner to me.....
    Big stump.....
    Keep us posted....
    Good fishing.....

Post Thanks / Like

well I think the law here reads you can't put those plastic 55 gal drums in the water. I would check on that. They did it to keep people from using old drums with chemical or oil residue. I know hand grabbers used to use them here but like I said they made that against the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, The barrel on the right has some type of warning sticker on, ???????

Post Thanks / Like

Up in North Carolina, as long as you can prove that you are making fish habitat in a nonpolluting way, it really does not matter what you use. And as long as it will not cause navigational hazzards. I get Round-up in big drums like that and the good thing about roundup is it has a detergent in it so when you rinse it out, it does not take long. Just keep rinsing until the water quits foaming. It don't take long. Might won't to rinse out the drums around something that you don't mind killing. There will be enough residue there to at least make a plant sick. right in the edge of the woods is a good place for roundup rinse because it is a contact herbicide and once it hits the soil is pretty useless unless you really drown the roots in a strong mix or concentrate. If any vegetation dies, more quickly takes its place. So If your careful, and use your head some drums can be used. If it is a dangerous toxic compound, then forget it. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

The barrels contained concentrated soap. They came from a carwash. I washed them out a number of times before working on them. If they were not clean they wouldn't attract fish.
    It takes about 30 pounds of broken brick to sink one. I drilled two 2" holes in the bottom and took the bungs out of the top. They went straight down without any trouble.
    I would not think that they were illegal to use in Texas, didn't even cross my mind. I have a friend that is a Game Warden I'll call and ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I like those a lot. I can tell you when I drop a fish attractor by my boat house if it is box shaped or enclosed in any way the brim go right in it. They seem to love a place they can go into.

Not sure just what crappie do because I can't watch them like brim, but I bet they do about the same.

Somebody posted a picture of a sunken ice fishing house that was crammed full of crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

at a local pond i found a few of them floating in the corner, i scooped them up and took them home. i basically built them the same acept i had a few more arms on em and then took them to a private pond a friend owns and sunk them there.... will keep updated on how they work

Post Thanks / Like

I sure like the looks of them let us know how they work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast