PDA

View Full Version : New Line

wannagofishin
01-10-2008, 02:30 PM
I have 4 older reels that I have available to me - and I'm sure they will need new line - they've been sitting for years...

Do most of you reline your own reels or do you have it done...

Any tips/tricks to it -

smoothlures
01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I do them myself unless I buy a new nice saltwater reel and they offer to spool it for me. Make sure you know how to do the knot and keep tension on the line while spooling it. Then make sure you don't over fill it.

wwwUncle
01-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Once in a while I do it myself, but most the time I let the local tackle shop do it.

Matt Smith
01-10-2008, 09:17 PM
If you're spooling a spinning reel, drop the new spool of line in a bucket of water and leave it there for a few minutes. That way, you won't have to worry about winding the line on wrong.

ShortStorie
01-10-2008, 11:00 PM
How does dropping the spool in a bucket of water keep you from winding the line on wrong? If you drop it in wrong, the line will still twist, won't it?

sticko
01-10-2008, 11:10 PM
i buy the bulk spools of line from bass pro shops and do it myself much cheaper that way. after the reel is full i tie the line to a tree or something then walk the line off and crank it back on with tension it lays smooth then.

skeetbum
01-10-2008, 11:36 PM
OK matt smith, you got some 'splainin to do. 47 yrs of fishin and takin care of my own stuff and I aint never heard of droppin the line in a bucket and goin to work.Spinning reel Line must come off the end of a spool and go on to the new spool with a minimum of twist, achieved by having the line coming off(old spool) in the same direction it goes on(new spool). baitcasters roll line on as it rolls off. Water , huh?

FishingDog
01-11-2008, 07:22 AM
I must be dumber than a bear cub! So, how are you suppose to respool your line on your reels? I always put either a pencil or a screw driver through the center of my new line, and reel the line through my fingers to add some tension. Is this wrong?:confused:

wannagofishin
01-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Yeah FishingDog - that's kind of what I had planned on doing until hearing all these other things!

I think my local tackle shop does it for about $5 a reel - not too bad I guess..

shipahoy41
01-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I do it myself. I made a "spooler" by mounting a dowel to a sturdy 2x6 plank that sits on the floor. I put the new spool onto the dowel, make sure it is coming off the right way, and then wind new line while watching Midwest crappie or Jimmy Houston on TV.

FishingDog
01-11-2008, 12:26 PM
OK Shipahoy41, what is the correct way for the line to not only come off of the spool, but also to go on the reel??? Your just teasing us aren't you?? Someone needs to set us all straight on the correct way on putting line on our reels the correct way. LOL:)

Matt Smith
01-11-2008, 12:42 PM
It'd make for a whole lot less typing if you'd just try it...

FishingDog
01-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Matt Smith, How do you know if you are correct or not?:confused:

Wiskers
01-11-2008, 02:33 PM
OK matt smith, you got some 'splainin to do. 47 yrs of fishin and takin care of my own stuff and I aint never heard of droppin the line in a bucket and goin to work.Spinning reel Line must come off the end of a spool and go on to the new spool with a minimum of twist, achieved by having the line coming off(old spool) in the same direction it goes on(new spool). baitcasters roll line on as it rolls off. Water , huh?
When I spool a spinning reel I put my line in a bowl of hot water. #1 it softens the line. #2 Even if you take the line off the new spool the same way it's go'n on the reel spool you'll still get a little twist due to the different diamiters of the 2 spools. The bigger the difference the more twist you'll get. Putting the new spool in the water allows the spool to rotate a little as twists come in the line. I also try to load the line slowly. Been do'n it for years and it seems to make a difference for me.

For bait casters I do the same as you discribed. :D

Papa Dawg
01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
$5 is a lot of money.

skiptomylu
01-11-2008, 03:22 PM
I put my own line on and change from braid to mono. I like both and in the mono I use some Mr. Crappie as well as some Berkley and Silver Thread. I like Power Pro for my braid and I use the #10 in the hi vis yellow.

If you should go with braid remember to put some mono on first and only use about 40-50 yards of braid. There are two reasons for this, first it cost more and no need to fill the spool with it and next if you fill the spool with just braid it will slip on the spool.

Skip

wwwUncle
01-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah FishingDog - that's kind of what I had planned on doing until hearing all these other things!

I think my local tackle shop does it for about $5 a reel - not too bad I guess..

I spend so much at my local tackle shop that I get my reels respooled for nothing provided I provide the line (which I usually bought there anyway).

Matt Smith
01-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Matt Smith, How do you know if you are correct or not?:confused:

Because I've checked.

jaxsprat
01-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Quote"I think my local tackle shop does it for about $5 a reel - not too bad I guess" ..WHOO If you buy the line there it should be wound on for free. If not find another store Quick............Run

wwwUncle
01-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Quote"I think my local tackle shop does it for about $5 a reel - not too bad I guess" ..WHOO If you buy the line there it should be wound on for free. If not find another store Quick............Run

That is true, but I will buy larger quantity spools so as to get several free reel refills off of it til gone.

CrappiePappy
01-11-2008, 09:35 PM
http://www.wikihow.com/Spool-New-Fishing-Line-Onto-a-Reel

There's usually more than one way to accomplish your goal, so don't discount someone else's method until you've tried it, and it fails. I doubt anyone on here is purposely trying to mislead anyone.

Remember too, that heavier pound test line and certain types of line are more prone to being a problem on small diameter reel spools. Also of note, some reels that have "anti-twist" bail rollers, may not need to have line spooled on them in the way the article presents ... supposedly, these reels can have line spooled on them, the same way a baitcaster reel is done. ( I can't confirm this, as I have no such reels ... I'm just presenting what I've read).

I spool my own line, on my dozen or so spinning reels, the way the above article states ... with no problems. I also spool my three fishing partners reels (another dozen or so spinning reels), by the same method. Once the line is spooled on these reels, in this manner, they're good to go .... but, will need some "untwisting" proceedures done to them, after a long days jig casting ;)

... cp :cool: