Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Line

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Line

I have 4 older reels that I have available to me - and I'm sure they will need new line - they've been sitting for years...

Do most of you reline your own reels or do you have it done...

Any tips/tricks to it -

Post Thanks / Like

I do them myself unless I buy a new nice saltwater reel and they offer to spool it for me. Make sure you know how to do the knot and keep tension on the line while spooling it. Then make sure you don't over fill it.

Post Thanks / Like

Once in a while I do it myself, but most the time I let the local tackle shop do it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're spooling a spinning reel, drop the new spool of line in a bucket of water and leave it there for a few minutes. That way, you won't have to worry about winding the line on wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

How does dropping the spool in a bucket of water keep you from winding the line on wrong? If you drop it in wrong, the line will still twist, won't it?

Post Thanks / Like

i buy the bulk spools of line from bass pro shops and do it myself much cheaper that way. after the reel is full i tie the line to a tree or something then walk the line off and crank it back on with tension it lays smooth then.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default spooling

OK matt smith, you got some 'splainin to do. 47 yrs of fishin and takin care of my own stuff and I aint never heard of droppin the line in a bucket and goin to work.Spinning reel Line must come off the end of a spool and go on to the new spool with a minimum of twist, achieved by having the line coming off(old spool) in the same direction it goes on(new spool). baitcasters roll line on as it rolls off. Water , huh?
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Default Water, trees, right way, wrong way????

I must be dumber than a bear cub! So, how are you suppose to respool your line on your reels? I always put either a pencil or a screw driver through the center of my new line, and reel the line through my fingers to add some tension. Is this wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah FishingDog - that's kind of what I had planned on doing until hearing all these other things!

I think my local tackle shop does it for about $5 a reel - not too bad I guess..

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I do it myself. I made a "spooler" by mounting a dowel to a sturdy 2x6 plank that sits on the floor. I put the new spool onto the dowel, make sure it is coming off the right way, and then wind new line while watching Midwest crappie or Jimmy Houston on TV.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast